When should I start studying for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jorge921995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished my freshman year with Bio 1 and 2. My friend said she's going to start studying for the Bio MCAT now. She said I should do the same. But I haven't even started my freshman year and the book is like more than $50 bucks at B&N. Is it worth starting to study now?

Members don't see this ad.

I would start studying about a year before you take the MCAT. Studying now is kind of overkill. Focus on your premed classes first and do well in them. You can start studying when you finished all the perquisites (chem, physics, bio, organic chem.)

MCAT is more like a review of what you have learned in your premed classes. You don't actually need to know as much as you learned in your classes to succeed.

Of course studying early is better, but some people don't retain information for very long. I took the MCAT a year ago, and I honestly don't remember much of the stuff I studied on my MCAT. If I go back and study again, however, I'm going to be able to pick it up much quicker since I've already been exposed.

Also, MCAT is really testing on your ability to critically analyze passages more than retaining information from books. I know people who don't even study for the MCAT and still do extremely well. If you do a lot of research, it could help you a lot because you're exposed to critical analysis rather than rote memorization.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
In my case, simply retaining/understanding the material from prereqs was the majority of my studying. This may be the case for many others (and you), depending on the type of student you are and your major. I'm a bio major and always just focused on understanding/remembering my coursework. I studied ~19 days for the MCAT and did well. Remember, studying for the MCAT has an opportunity cost. You need more than a high MCAT score to get into med school. Focus on your GPA and ECs for now.

Also-- Realize that the MCAT is NOT material focused. It tests your ability to critically analyze research and passages. More than likely, the material covered in your Bio 1 and Bio 2 course probably went into further specifics than you'd need for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to do really well in your classes now so that you master the material. Then start studying ~2-4 months before taking the exam.

Reactions: 1 users
Didn't try this myself but would be helpful: get a set of MCAT books and annotate while you are in the class bc that's wgen you know the material well. That way when you go back to study 4 months before the exam, all your own notes are already there!

I finished my freshman year with Bio 1 and 2. My friend said she's going to start studying for the Bio MCAT now. She said I should do the same. But I haven't even started my freshman year and the book is like more than $50 bucks at B&N. Is it worth starting to study now?
Nevermind, see below.

Last edited:
so which one is it honey
A quick peek at past postings reveals @jorge921995 just finished freshman year.

I also saw your GPA. If I were you, I'd stop worrying about the MCAT for now and focus on previewing courses for the fall, as your GPA is in pretty bad shape. In reply to your other thread, expecting to hold a 4.0 for three years after a 2.45 freshman year is highly unrealistic.

I'm in agreement with Glazedonutlove, on many levels. Keep up with your MCAT books that correspond to the classes you are in currently. This will allow you to highlight on what is high yield during your course when its fresh on your mind. More importantly, the MCAT books will often explain concepts in much simpler terms than your undergrad courses. For example, for organic chemistry, I was not understanding the powerpoints from class, so I read the MCAT ochem book, and it made much more sense, a world of a difference. There are also plenty of tips and tricks in the books that will help you on your exams. I became like the ochem guru in my study group because I could explain the concepts easily and accurately. Don't forget though, turning back to the powerpoints is essential still because not everything on your exams will be in the MCAT book.

And I love glazed donuts.

oh my god
please don't do this to yourself the MCAT is not something you need to study 2 years for. A couple months is good, it's mostly critical thinking and applying the basics anyways (and the basics don't take long to learn). I got a 14 on bio, probs a fluke, but honestly I read a little EK and reviewed by orgo notes, mainly naming lol. It's all about practice tests and data anaylsis, which take a couple weeks and a little slow review of sample tests from aamc

Don't study a year for the MCAT
Don't even start thinking about the MCAT while you have a 2.45 GPA...

Reactions: 3 users
@jorge921995 I also wouldn't use actual pictures of myself on an anonymous forum such as SDN.

I think 10-12 weeks is the sweet spot.

Depends on your schedule and how recently you were exposed to the material. If you're a traditional pre-med who is focusing 100% on the MCAT, twelve weeks may be enough. If you're a non-trad with a full-time job who is studying on the side, a year may be ideal.