When should I start studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmcunnin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am making a career change to dentistry, and just started prereqs this semester. I am expecting to apply in 2016. Would it be beneficial to study now as I am taking the classes or is it way too soon?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about DAT for now. Focus on getting as of a GPA as you possibly can, especially in those science prereqs! Make sure you don't cram for biology, try to learn it so it sticks. If you do well in your sciences, you'll have easier time reviewing for DAT. Aaaand you'll have a killer GPA which will be amazing! I took ~4 month to prepare for the test, but I never studied for more than 7 hrs/day (usually ~4hrs/day) and rarely studied on weekends. If you can afford such luxury of having a free summer with minimum of other obligations, that would be my best recommendation! :)

I wouldn't worry about DAT for now. Focus on getting as of a GPA as you possibly can, especially in those science prereqs! Make sure you don't cram for biology, try to learn it so it sticks. If you do well in your sciences, you'll have easier time reviewing for DAT. Aaaand you'll have a killer GPA which will be amazing! I took ~4 month to prepare for the test, but I never studied for more than 7 hrs/day (usually ~4hrs/day) and rarely studied on weekends. If you can afford such luxury of having a free summer with minimum of other obligations, that would be my best recommendation! :)

Thanks for the advice! I'm doing well in the prereqs..3 As and 1 B currently, but I don't know how much of the info I'll remember by the time I take the DAT lol. That's why I was wondering if I should start reviewing it now, but you're right I should probably put my main focus on the prereqs.

Thanks for the advice! I'm doing well in the prereqs..3 As and 1 B currently, but I don't know how much of the info I'll remember by the time I take the DAT lol. That's why I was wondering if I should start reviewing it now, but you're right I should probably put my main focus on the prereqs.

Believe me, you will remember it! Once you learn it, it stays with you for a looong time!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am making a career change to dentistry, and just started prereqs this semester. I am expecting to apply in 2016. Would it be beneficial to study now as I am taking the classes or is it way too soon?
What classes are you taking now? If you are starting with Gen chem, make sure you learn it well now, otherwise it would be tough to relearn later.

What classes are you taking now? If you are starting with Gen chem, make sure you learn it well now, otherwise it would be tough to relearn later.

I am taking the first Bio and lab and the first Chem and lab. My only B is in the Chem lab. My problem with Chemistry is not so much understanding the material. I find my issue is not working the problems fast enough. For example on the last test I got an 86, and I pretty much knew how to do all the problems. I just didn't have enough time to finish. Any suggestions on getting quicker at it? I guess it's just repetition and practice.