When should I study for and take Dat and apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
F

Frank22

What year should I begin studying for the DAT, when should I take it, and when should I apply? For example, beginning of third year, midway through forth year, etc. I've tried the search button?

Members don't see this ad.

My suggestion: take all pre-reqs before you apply. Depending on the applicant pool, they may not consider you if they receive a lot of applications from students who do have their pre-reqs already completed with final grades. Also, verify which schools require you to finish your BA before matriculation, you need to make sure you have enough time to finish those courses successfully without a decline in your grades. As for the DAT, depending on the individual, some need to take a semester off just to study for it, so you need to factor that in as well. I don't know if your undergrad has a pre-health advising committee but I highly recommend going through your entire application process through them. Make sure you have LORs and personal statement done well advance of the application date. Turn everything in DAY ONE of the application start cycle. Once August comes around, I would start calling schools in order to express your legitimate interest, not just in the field but in that particular school.

My suggestion: take all pre-reqs before you apply. Depending on the applicant pool, they may not consider you if they receive a lot of applications from students who do have their pre-reqs already completed with final grades. Also, verify which schools require you to finish your BA before matriculation, you need to make sure you have enough time to finish those courses successfully without a decline in your grades. As for the DAT, depending on the individual, some need to take a semester off just to study for it, so you need to factor that in as well. I don't know if your undergrad has a pre-health advising committee but I highly recommend going through your entire application process through them. Make sure you have LORs and personal statement done well advance of the application date. Turn everything in DAY ONE of the application start cycle. Once August comes around, I would start calling schools in order to express your legitimate interest, not just in the field but in that particular school.

Sure that's ideal, but not necessary. You can apply before your pre-reqs are done. Part of the application asks you to list your planned courses, so you can show that you are going to take them. The DAT is good for 3 years I think, so just make sure you take it after you've taken Bio, Gen Chem and Ochem, and had a while to study and practice for it. The part about getting your LORs and personal statements done early though, DEFINITELY do that. If you wait till June to start getting them ready it will just drag on. You end up bugging people multiple times a week to get them to write your letter, and it's no fun for either of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 on getting your letters and application materials ready early! Probably the best idea is to study for the DAT over summer break and get them done in that 2-3 months period. People usually finish bio, gen chem, and ochem by the end of sophomore year, so sophomore summer would be best imo.

If you end up dragging it out, make sure you're ready to take it by late February. You have to wait 3 months before taking your 2nd DAT exam, so it's probably a good idea to plan it out so you can retake it by late May (if you have to). This way you'll absolutely be ready to apply on June 1st. Good luck.

I studied junior summer from May until August. I took it at the very end of August and my application wasn't sent out officially until 9/28. As stated on sdn, the highest scores usually pop up around the end of August. Of course, we don't know whether that is coincidencial and the people who over study push it back until then or the extra studying actually does us good. I, however, recommend studying sophmore year summer and taking it at the end of August so your application can be sent out in the first batch.

Okay well I'm going to be done with my sophomore year in May, than ill be transferring to a 4-year university. I'm not ready to take the DAT yet, and I haven't shadowed a dentist or received a letter of recommendation from a professor. I've been focusing on my grades as much as possible.