WHEN SHOULD I TAKE AAMC PRACTICE TESTS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bellab17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to know when I should start taking the aamc tests in my preparation? My test is on Sept 18 and I was planning on taking one aamc test each weekend (I work full-time in the week) starting with aamc 5 tomorrow, b/c I took aamc 4 last weekend. Then next weekend aamc 7 etc.. and I would take the last aamc 11 on sept 14.

Or is it better to take them all in the last three weeks before my actual exam: So.... last wk of aug take aamc 7&8, 1st week of sept aamc 10 and 9 and 2nd wk of sept take aamc 11 (that would be the wk before my exam)?

Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

It is solid to start a month before, that works best.

Ideal schedule is:
Day 1 - Test
Day 2 - Review test and go over topics you need help on
Day 3 - Either review some more lightly, or rest
Repeat

Okay, so basically I would start aamc 3 on Mon, Aug 18th, aamc 4 on aug 21 etc... and I would take the last aamc 11 on sept 8th? So that week before would just be a topic review week?? The only problem is that I work full-time, so I get home at 6 everyday during the week, so don't know how I could take the F-Ls? I only have weekends off, so I don't know what to do so that working and still taking them during the week is possible??

Okay, so basically I would start aamc 3 on Mon, Aug 18th, aamc 4 on aug 21 etc... and I would take the last aamc 11 on sept 8th? So that week before would just be a topic review week?? The only problem is that I work full-time, so I get home at 6 everyday during the week, so don't know how I could take the F-Ls? I only have weekends off, so I don't know what to do so that working and still taking them during the week is possible??

That is not the ideal case in my opinion. You'd want to take the AAMC tests at the same time and under the same setting as your real test. I strongly suggest talking to your supervisor (or whoever it might be) to take 2 weeks off. If there is nothing you can do, I'd probably take AAMC 8,9,10 and 11 on the weekends (since, the consensus is that they are the most accurate and the best predictors) and doing the rest on the weekdays - although Id definitely get some rest (or take a nap) after getting home.

I'd like to emphasize again that these AAMC full lengths are arguably the most valuable resources that you are going to have access to, do not waste them. Even if you can only take FLs on the weekends, just do 4-5 and save the other tests in case you need to retake the exam. You are better off not doing them at all if you are going to be doing them with zero focus and energy.

Ofcourse, these are only my personal opinion...

Good luck man, I can totally feel what you are going through (I also worked full time during 80% of my prep)

Members don't see this ad :)
No, your totally right. I am going to speak with my supervisor, if I can take two or three days off or at least leave by 1:30 pm for two or three days each week until my test, what do you recommend my schedule be in terms of fitting in all of the aamcs and when should I start?

Thanks so much, I appreciate it!!

No, your totally right. I am going to speak with my supervisor, if I can take two or three days off or at least leave by 1:30 pm for two or three days each week until my test, what do you recommend my schedule be in terms of fitting in all of the aamcs and when should I start?

Thanks so much, I appreciate it!!

Id personally look at how many days you have after finishing content prior to your MCAT. Id say do the first one at least 1 month before your test. I personally recommend starting earlier if you can, even if it means doing 1 AAMC / week for the first few. Closer to the test you should be doing 1 every 3 days (roughly) and definitely not scheduling one the last 2 days.

Really at the end of the day its how you feel most comfortable with and what you think works best for you. A lot of people don't recognize this and think there is a formula that they need to follow for this. The only valuable advice I can give is to start early, give yourself a lot of time in between AAMCs if you can, review every single question even if you got it right, and make a list of the topics you feel like you need to review. Also I kept a log book of all the questions I got wrong and reviewed them from time to time.

Okay, thanks so much for the advice, it was very helpful. For the log book, did you record all the aamc q's you got wrong or any questions for other practice sources such as tpr, kaplan etc..? Also, do you happen to suggest using TPRH or TBR for practicing the science passages, (esp. for PS) ? For verbal do you recommend doing the easiest passages first etc.. or doing them in order?

Thx so much again! :)

The most important thing is that you take one to ensure that you are scoring in your desired range (to estimate your score). I would also suggest saving one or two of the AAMC practice tests for later, so that if anything were to go wrong (and if you have to retake for ANY reason), you will be able to use them to estimate your score next time.