When should I take the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AT89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am confused, I did not apply this cycle because I'll take ORGO1+LAB, next fall. Orgo2+LAB next spring, I want to apply by June, do we submit applications first? Then take DAT? I've seen this in several post, and I am confused. I was planning on taking it by March. I have a 3.7 GPA, but that might not be final since I haven't taken the killer class yet. :(

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

1- you are fine, I wish I was in your position right now, my DAT is next week :arghh: Yes, earlier is better, the application opens june 2nd so I'd say june until school starts is a good time to submit the application.
2- yes, you can submit before you take the DAT BUT the school will be like "alright cool, we have your application but we won't look at it until you send us the DAT scores"
3- if you can study for the DAT while taking classes,, great. if you can't then study for it after final exams end in May and then take it july-augustish you should be fine in this timeline.
4- take it from someone who is currenly crying herself to sleep everynight, taking the DAT before orgo II is not the brightest idea I ever had
i hope everything works out for you and that you will do great in orgo

Reactions: 3 users
Focus on school and cram for the DAT after. You have a good GPA right now and you don't want to lose that. It is almost impossible to repair a shambled GPA but you can just study ~ 2 months for the DAT and kill it! Best of luck :).

Focus on school and cram for the DAT after. You have a good GPA right now and you don't want to lose that. It is almost impossible to repair a shambled GPA but you can just study ~ 2 months for the DAT and kill it! Best of luck :).

Thanks, I'll do that. I just don't want to wait another year. I am already late. The spring semester ends in April, do you think I could take it on MAY, and then apply by June 10?
I will be giving 1hr per day at the DAT all year, wish me luck...

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
1- you are fine, I wish I was in your position right now, my DAT is next week :arghh: Yes, earlier is better, the application opens june 2nd so I'd say june until school starts is a good time to submit the application.
2- yes, you can submit before you take the DAT BUT the school will be like "alright cool, we have your application but we won't look at it until you send us the DAT scores"
3- if you can study for the DAT while taking classes,, great. if you can't then study for it after final exams end in May and then take it july-augustish you should be fine in this timeline.
4- take it from someone who is currenly crying herself to sleep everynight, taking the DAT before orgo II is not the brightest idea I ever had
i hope everything works out for you and that you will do great in orgo

Thanks, I'll be done with ORGO 2 next spring. I understand what you mean, all of this things are so confusing. We are playing with fire basically. Good luck to you, I am sure you will do excellent.

Try not to take the DAT during school (unless you take the canadian DAT, in which you will have no choice). GPA IS KING!

With regards to the OCHEM, I personally took the american DAT without having taken the second semester of OCHEM. Personally I thought it was ok, but one's mileage may vary

Reactions: 1 user