When should I take the MCATs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docta X

VIP Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore, and I am beginning to crack open the study materials for the MCATs. Many of my friends plan on taking the MCAT May of their junior year, but I was thinking of taking it in January of my junior year. My thought process is that if I take it in January and feel as though I need to take it again, I have five months to re-prepare with experience; then I can take it for a second time in May. Also, if I take my second MCAT in May, I can hopefully have applications completed and sent out by July. Is this a good plan, or am I getting ahead of myself? I want everything to go as smoothly as possible, and I am trying to avoid last minute notifications. I've heard from a lot of people that if you "apply early, you'll know early". Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Too early...Start practicing VR now until you take the test. You'll just forget the science info by the then.

You don't have a bad idea. If I were able to, I would've probably done the same thing. This might be a little early to study for that test, though... I'd start studying hardcore in like September.

You don't have a bad idea. If I were able to, I would've probably done the same thing. This might be a little early to study for that test, though... I'd start studying hardcore in like September.

I agree. If you'll be finished with all your prereqs by that time, take it. I agree that studying now (or even in the summer) might be too early, but you could definitely take a light load this fall and work in some hard MCAT studying and do fine. I think it's a good idea because if you have to retake, you can retake in May and still apply early (Back in my day, it was just April and August, and we used number 2 pencils, and had to walk uphill to the testing center both ways. :) Good luck.