When take the DAT Kaplan Prep course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haissam

Uconn_predental
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told to take the Kaplan prep course 2 days before I take the DATs, is that best? or would it be better if you take it during the semester, then studying all summer then taking the DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Haissam said:
I was told to take the Kaplan prep course 2 days before I take the DATs, is that best? or would it be better if you take it during the semester, then studying all summer then taking the DAT?

The kaplan course as far as I know takes about 14 sessions, not 2 days. If you take kaplan dont wait too long after that to take the test. You will indeed forget

مع السلامه

RAMBO

the kaplan course takes about the whole semester....i took it starting the end of january and it went through early april, one session per week. I then took the DAT the first week of may. Just make sure your course load isnt too heavy during this time, or at least make sure you take classes that also prepare you for the DAT. For example, I took inorganic chem II and animal physiology last winter. So studying for those classes didnt really take away from DAT study time because all that material was also on the DATs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished my Kaplan Review Course (Oct. 31-8weeks long) and definately recommend taking the course in the summer when you are focused on nothing but the DATs. You need to take it as a full time job, 8hrs day min. Then give yourself about 2 weeks to review and then take the DAT. I had too many other things going on....classes, work, family, etc. So I will be slowly reviewing until my finals are over. Which means long term memory instead of my usual short term storage for exams. Then 2-3 hard weeks of study (8-10hrs day) in Dec and taking my DATs by the end of this year.

Haissam said:

I think the in class session for Kaplan is useless. We had one, yes only one, actual professor that taught the class. Other instructors were students that did well on the MCAT's. Some read word for word from the Kaplan text, while other instructors were learning a thing or two from students in the class.

I would just pay for the online course (I think it's $500 vs $1100 in class fee).
You can get tons and tons of practice ques online, and watch online videos of each topic covered in depth. Also, they have awesome workshops for each topic covered on the DAT.

Still, I would buy topscore, that is closer to the DAT than any Kaplan exam.

eddyRDH said:
I think the in class session for Kaplan is useless. We had one, yes only one, actual professor that taught the class. Other instructors were students that did well on the MCAT's. Some read word for word from the Kaplan text, while other instructors were learning a thing or two from students in the class.

I would just pay for the online course (I think it's $500 vs $1100 in class fee).
You can get tons and tons of practice ques online, and watch online videos of each topic covered in depth. Also, they have awesome workshops for each topic covered on the DAT.

Still, I would buy topscore, that is closer to the DAT than any Kaplan exam.

I agree 100% with this
-C