When taking NBME exams, study mode or in testing mode?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

automan

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to take the exams in testing mode, however, I want to be able to go back and read all the explanations. For anyone who has already taken the NBME exams, if you do the exam in testing mode, can you go back through the exam and look at the questions and explanations?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to take the exams in testing mode, however, I want to be able to go back and read all the explanations. For anyone who has already taken the NBME exams, if you do the exam in testing mode, can you go back through the exam and look at the questions and explanations?

Thanks

You can mark questions and go back to them at the end of the block, but there are no answers or explanations for the questions provided by NBME. You can take the exam in self-paced mode (4 hours/block), and look up answers as you go along.

You can mark questions and go back to them at the end of the block, but there are no answers or explanations for the questions provided by NBME. You can take the exam in self-paced mode (4 hours/block), and look up answers as you go along.

Wait, does that mean there's no way to score yourself?

Wait, so you don't get to go back through your test and look at the questions you got wrong? Once you buy the tst online, Can you only take the exam once or can you review those questions later?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think study mode is best for first timers...... just to make sure youre thinking properly. Later on, you can test for speed.

You can't go back, and you don't find out what you got wrong.

You could take notes while taking the exam. Or if you're ambitious, screen-capture each question.

the tests seem like a waste of time to learn from w/o answers provided - big time commitment to look up anwers to 350 questions (why can't they just provide the lettered answers?)...

but i guess they're good for getting a feel for the real thing and a good estimate of performance

the tests seem like a waste of time to learn from w/o answers provided - big time commitment to look up anwers to 350 questions (why can't they just provide the lettered answers?)...

but i guess they're good for getting a feel for the real thing and a good estimate of performance

You will learn a lot by looking this stuff up (at least the ones you're not confident about). It is worth your time.

You will learn a lot by looking this stuff up (at least the ones you're not confident about). It is worth your time.

lord_jeebus, I know this may sound stupid, but it would be great if you could elaborate a bit on what you mean by looking up for stuff that you are not confident about. Is it advisable to go thru all the wrong options also? Or if a concept is being tested , say an organism, you make sure you know everyting about it and how to differentiate it from other similar organisms? I mean, it would be great if you could just elaborate with an example.
Thanks a lot in advance.

lord_jeebus, I know this may sound stupid, but it would be great if you could elaborate a bit on what you mean by looking up for stuff that you are not confident about. Is it advisable to go thru all the wrong options also? Or if a concept is being tested , say an organism, you make sure you know everyting about it and how to differentiate it from other similar organisms? I mean, it would be great if you could just elaborate with an example.
Thanks a lot in advance.

I mean by doing whatever research you need to do to figure out what the answer is with confidence. If you don't recognize a term in the answer choices you should probably look that up as well.

I've heard from several people that several or even many of the questions on their Step 1 were identical or very similar to those on the NBMEs and the 150q "practice" materials.

So, that's why they don't provide answers.

And, that's why it's a great idea to study from them.

Jeebus, did you actually "solve" every nbme question (4 forms + 150) ?

No

I was cheap and only took NBME #3.

I didn't solve every question either, I just took notes as I went along and checked some facts afterwards. In retrospect I think I could have benefited from doing this for all 4.