When to apply for SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krazydesi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am deciding on doing SMP to help my low gpa out. I have to take the MCATs but I was thinking on studying next semester (start this semester) and take them in March after my spring break (study during the break).

Do you think that would be too late to apply for SMP? I was going to send in my application and everything starting January but just won't have mcats in until late april.

Or I could start studying hardcore now and take MCATs in January and apply then and get it over with? Which option woudl be better?

Members don't see this ad.

You can definitely take the March test and still apply to most of the main SMPs. I took the January test and was able to get into Gtown. You should really gauge when you want to take it based on how you feel with practice tests. I would say aim for January and use March as a back up. There will be no harm in that, except less fun starting now. Also, if you're in school right now make sure not to sacrifice your grades. It's very important to demonstrate an upward trend in gpa even for the SMPs.