When to Apply for TY Spots

Started by tulipsss
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tulipsss

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,

I applied very broadly to both categorical and advanced match spots. I have not applied for TY spots yet. Is that a bad move or can I apply later once I know how many PM&R interviews I have?
 
Hey tulipsss,

Apply ASAP now. If the TY program you are interested in gives away interviews before you apply....you will be severely limited with getting interview slots! I have 3 TY offers right now....I applied to the last one late (last week), they only had 4 interview slots left (2 of which work with my schedule). I asked for one date and by the time they got my e-mail (within 1 day), someone already took that slot! So I just requested for the last slot that works for my schedule...crossing my fingers that it is not taken! Moral of the story....apply as soon as possible....like now. Hope my experience helps!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just applied last year and am currently doing a prelim medicine year. I cannot stress enough how much you need to apply broadly for these prelim programs. I received significantly fewer interviews than I thought I would. They are generally pretty competitive and I suspect many have biases against PM&R applicants with rads, derm, and anesthesia residents getting priority. PM&R is not that competitive, but make sure you don't get screwed with the intern year.
 
I would also say that you should generally apply ASAP. However, I also have a question for everyone else. When do I need to start worrying about not having gotten any invites for TY or prelim programs? I applied to a total a 25 and all I have a 1 rejection so far...
 
Does an osteopathic traditional rotation internship count? Or should I only be applying to Allopathic prelim/TY?
 
I went on one TRI interview and the program director told me if you are going to do an ACGME advanced program the osteopathic TRI will not count. If the program is dual accredited you have to specify you are doing the AOA match for the advanced position but then you are not eligable for ACGME fellowships.
She suggested checking with each program to see if they will/will not count a TRI.