when to apply to optometry school/take oats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotvish

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys!
i am a jr at UC irvine and am just realizing this is def what i want to do.. now i plan to take a year off in bewteen undergrad and optometry school but am wondering when i should take the oat's and when i should apply to the schools im interested in.. HELP!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

From my own experience in just studying for the OAT I would definitely take it soon. The less time you have between your prereqs and the exam the better. I just graduated and applying now for the 2008 cycle, and its difficult having to recap all that info for the exam. As far as applying I would suggest as early as possible...why are you taking the year off?

I think that schools will accept OAT from 2 years ago at the time of application (contact the schools themselves to make sure). I would agree with the above in taking the OAT as soon as you can after taking the courses that cover the material on the OAT. It helped me a lot with the Biology section. I scored lowest on the physics section, which happened to be the classes that I took the longest time ago. But, make sure you take it late enough to fit in with that 2 year time frame. Ya, and don't take a break, breaks are for wimps (j/k). I thought about doing that too, but I don't wait to get out of school one year later. I just want to get it done and into my career. But, you can always do what you want :).

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose I have a similar question, but more specific. I'm a junior now, but I switched to Bio from a completely unrelated major. I'm still graduating on time, and I would like to go on to opt school on time (starting fall '09)... but I don't know when SPECIFICALLY to apply. nov? dec? now?

and I can't take my OATs until this summer because I can't take ochem until this summer... is that a problem? :confused:

I suppose I have a similar question, but more specific. I'm a junior now, but I switched to Bio from a completely unrelated major. I'm still graduating on time, and I would like to go on to opt school on time (starting fall '09)... but I don't know when SPECIFICALLY to apply. nov? dec? now?

and I can't take my OATs until this summer because I can't take ochem until this summer... is that a problem? :confused:

oh wow, my situation is really quite similar as yours! i'll be sure to check up on this to read what other people have posted.

you want to apply as soon as them applications come hot off the press

Ya. Dont think that you have to get them in the very first day or else you don't stand a chance. All of mine were in around September 1st. This is about 2 weeks - 1 month after the applications were available and I have received first-round interviews for every school I have applied too. Don't stress too much about it. But, don't wait until like 3 months after.