When to apply to optometry school

Started by nimujm13
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nimujm13

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a question regarding when you would suggest that I apply to optometry school. I am going to take 2 classes in September that are prereqs. I want to have these classes counted in my last 60 unit GPA so that it looks higher. I could get it to be above 3.0, while my cumul GPA is a 2.7. If I apply in September, the classes won't count in my last 60 unit GPA, but if I apply in December, they will. Do I still have a chance at getting in if I wait till December to apply? I want to wait so that I have a higher GPA when applying. Obviously I will also need very good OATs and lots of varied experience in the optometric field. Thanks in advance for any advice! 🙂
 
nimujm13 said:
I had a question regarding when you would suggest that I apply to optometry school. I am going to take 2 classes in September that are prereqs. I want to have these classes counted in my last 60 unit GPA so that it looks higher. I could get it to be above 3.0, while my cumul GPA is a 2.7. If I apply in September, the classes won't count in my last 60 unit GPA, but if I apply in December, they will. Do I still have a chance at getting in if I wait till December to apply? I want to wait so that I have a higher GPA when applying. Obviously I will also need very good OATs and lots of varied experience in the optometric field. Thanks in advance for any advice! 🙂
Well, I suggest you apply as early as possible cos the earlier you apply the sooner u will know the result, plus u have more chance of getting into it. some schools have rolling admission so it is better that u apply earlier.