When to apply to optometry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nimujm13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question regarding when you would suggest that I apply to optometry school. I am going to take 2 classes in September that are prereqs. I want to have these classes counted in my last 60 unit GPA so that it looks higher. I could get it to be above 3.0, while my cumul GPA is a 2.7. If I apply in September, the classes won't count in my last 60 unit GPA, but if I apply in December, they will. Do I still have a chance at getting in if I wait till December to apply? I want to wait so that I have a higher GPA when applying. Obviously I will also need very good OATs and lots of varied experience in the optometric field. Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Members don't see this ad.

nimujm13 said:
I had a question regarding when you would suggest that I apply to optometry school. I am going to take 2 classes in September that are prereqs. I want to have these classes counted in my last 60 unit GPA so that it looks higher. I could get it to be above 3.0, while my cumul GPA is a 2.7. If I apply in September, the classes won't count in my last 60 unit GPA, but if I apply in December, they will. Do I still have a chance at getting in if I wait till December to apply? I want to wait so that I have a higher GPA when applying. Obviously I will also need very good OATs and lots of varied experience in the optometric field. Thanks in advance for any advice! :)
Well, I suggest you apply as early as possible cos the earlier you apply the sooner u will know the result, plus u have more chance of getting into it. some schools have rolling admission so it is better that u apply earlier.