When to apply

Started by TehNibler
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TehNibler

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im currently a 4th year and am confused about the "advanced" radiology positions that require a completed intern year. Do I apply for these positions now and match as an incoming pgy-2 in 2016 (pending completion of a TY) or do i have to complete a Transitional Year first and then apply to these programs in the next years cycle?

Sorry if this is a silly question,

Thanks
 
As a current 4th year. You have to apply to both an intern year and an "advanced" pgy2 radiology position. Then you have to go to interviews for both in the Fall/Winter.
On match day, there will be assignments for both an intern year and a radiology program.
It's possible to match into radiology and then not match into a prelim year, rare, but possible. So treat the prelims application seriously as well because "Cush" program are highly competitive. It's suggested to apply to 8-10 prelim programs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a current 4th year. You have to apply to both an intern year and an "advanced" pgy2 radiology position. Then you have to go to interviews for both in the Fall/Winter.
On match day, there will be assignments for both an intern year and a radiology program.
It's possible to match into radiology and then not match into a prelim year, rare, but possible. So treat the prelims application seriously as well because "Cush" program are highly competitive. It's suggested to apply to 8-10 prelim programs.

Prelim's aren't that bad either. I can't speak for the real cush TY's but I'm at a large university and I was quite happy with my first month (which was an ICU month). It isn't that bad at all.
 
Prelim's aren't that bad either. I can't speak for the real cush TY's but I'm at a large university and I was quite happy with my first month (which was an ICU month). It isn't that bad at all.

Speak for yourself.


And take the prelim-TY interviews seriously and apply broadly, they are very competitive.