When to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harmnot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that its best to apply on 9/1 for residency. However, my concern is that I do not have a complete package. My step 1 is 218 and I will be taking cs at the end of August and ck at the end of October. I have recently asked for three lors. So, should I apply on 9/1 or wait until I have my cs result? Also, if I decline to have my ck score automatically sent once its out, would that look bad?

Members don't see this ad.

Why would decline to auto-upload of your score? Yes it would look bad. What are trying to hide?

As long as you apply before the end of September you should be in good shape. The early bird...you know the rest. Just ensure you app, CV, and personal statement are in good shape.

When you receive your CS and CK scores, just email the coordinator with an update and they'll upload the results accordingly.

Oh...and what is 'the complete package?' Your Step 1 is fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
what I mean by complete package is an application that have all three lors, both step 1/2 and cs score. I am afraid that without ck and cs and possibly some missing lors, my step 1 of 218 won't be considered strong enough for an interview invite.

most do rolling admissions. But some do not.

As far as anyone can tell, NYU only offered admissions on 9/11 (odd date to pick for a NYC school but there you have it) last year. That was it.

My app was 'complete' in mid-September. CK score arrived in November maybe? CS in December? Received all interviews before scores were uploaded 2 ERAS. Again, your score is fine. Programs are well aware of Step 2 scheduling/fourth-year schedules, etc.

Step 2 scores won't prevent you from receiving interviews.

LORs should take no more than 2 weeks. A thank card sent at one week should act as a friendly reminder.

Last edited:
You don't even need step 2 cs/ck to match at most places, much less to apply.

Finish ERAS and submit it whenever it's ready. Programs won't look at your app until your LORs are in so there's really no reason to delay submitting it.