When to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChangeinCareer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I graduated with a BA in psychology in May of 2008. I worked in a couple research labs before realizing that psychology really wasn't for me. I've been volunteering at an outpatient PT place and really love it. I don't have any of the required science pre-reqs but have started taking them, planning on finishing chem over the summer and bio, A&P, and physics in the Fall and Spring semesters. I did well in college (graduating with a 3.67) and have typically done well in school. My girlfriend and I really want to move next Fall to Portland, OR, so, I want to apply to Pacific University this Summer/Fall for the 2013 class but I'm nervous since I won't finish most of my science pre-reqs until next May. I was wondering if anyone is in a similar situation or if there are any thoughts on my chances of being accepting this application cycle or if applying too early will negatively affect my chances of getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the exact same situation you were in. I graduated in 2008 with a BS Geography. I had a 3.6 GPA. I knew there was no future for me in geography, so I tried two other career paths that failed miserably. I went back to school in 2010, finished my pre-requisites at the end of last year, and now I'm starting at USA in August. I applied for the September 2012 class last July. When I went back to school, I had completed Biology, Statistics, one level of Psychology, and my English classes. I still had to take Chemistry, Physics, Human A&P, and Abnormal Psychology.

It's not insurmountable. Take it one step at a time. Take your classes at your local CC (no more than three at a time), volunteer like it's a part-time job, obtain some references from your professors and PTs, and one day you'll tell everyone on this forum about your acceptance.

Kevin

Several programs specify that no more than two prerequisite courses can be outstanding at the time you submit your application. Each program will have different requirements though and a look at the department website or an e-mail will help clarify. Keep in mind that without a sufficient number of classes completed, the program will be missing one key bit of info on how you might perform in PT school; it's to your benefit (even if it takes another year) to give them as many indications of your ability as you can.