When to Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudent01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two options, which one should I go for:

My story: From NY; I just finished my sophomore year of college and found out from my counselor that I have all the requirements to graduate by next spring…which is a year early…meaning that I can apply to med schools a year early. Now, I was settled on applying next summer…but currently I'm overwhelmed as to applying for Fall 2013.

Option 1: I apply this summer to med schools. I have a decent GPA (3.70+), but low on Extra-curriculars. I'm taking the MCAT on August 23, hoping that I'll get above a 30. I still have to apply to med schools.

The pros: will possibly get into med schools a year earlier than planned…:love:
The cons: I'm scared that since I'm taking the MCAT so late, I won't have a chance…:scared:

Option 2: I graduate in Spring '13 as planned and then take a gap year, where I keep myself busy with shadowing and researching…apply to med schools in summer '13. My family is skeptical on this one...

The pros: will most probably have a stronger application by then…more time to study for MCAT….gap year gives me more time to get things done, such as researching, volunteering, and shadowing
The cons: I don't know how med schools look at a gap year…plus, what if they don't take me in that year? Then I pretty much wasted a gap year…

Basically, please give me suggestions as to what seems like the more successful route of getting into MD schools. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How are your practice MCATs looking? I'd say you may still have a chance if you apply this year, but your safest bet would be to apply summer '13 so you can apply early in the cycle. If you do that and get a good MCAT, you have a very good chance of getting in with your stats/ECs.

I'm taking a gap year right now while applying and from what I've heard most medschools don't look down on it at all as long as you keep volunteering/shadowing and have some sort of jobs/activities to keep you busy. If all one plans to do during the gap year is work on medschool apps, then that's bad and adcoms will definitely look down on it.

I hope that helps. Best of luck to you :)

I have two options, which one should I go for:

My story: From NY; I just finished my sophomore year of college and found out from my counselor that I have all the requirements to graduate by next spring…which is a year early…meaning that I can apply to med schools a year early. Now, I was settled on applying next summer…but currently I'm overwhelmed as to applying for Fall 2013.

Option 1: I apply this summer to med schools. I have a decent GPA (3.70+), but low on Extra-curriculars. I'm taking the MCAT on August 23, hoping that I'll get above a 30. I still have to apply to med schools.

The pros: will possibly get into med schools a year earlier than planned…:love:
The cons: I'm scared that since I'm taking the MCAT so late, I won't have a chance…:scared:

Option 2: I graduate in Spring '13 as planned and then take a gap year, where I keep myself busy with shadowing and researching…apply to med schools in summer '13. My family is skeptical on this one...

The pros: will most probably have a stronger application by then…more time to study for MCAT….gap year gives me more time to get things done, such as researching, volunteering, and shadowing
The cons: I don't know how med schools look at a gap year…plus, what if they don't take me in that year? Then I pretty much wasted a gap year…

Basically, please give me suggestions as to what seems like the more successful route of getting into MD schools. Thanks!

Low on EC's + Late MCAT + Late Application is not a good formula for the best chances possible. Especially with a 3.7 GPA and shooting for a 30 MCAT, you'll be a middle-of-the-road applicant stat-wise that will be applying late.

Personally, I'd 100% recommend option 2. I felt like time in between my undergrad and med school gave me great perspective for the future and would do it 100x over. Some of my friends that went straight through were burnt out on school by the end of the first semester M1. Med schools will absolutely not hold a gap year against you if you do good stuff in it, buff your EC's by filling it with volunteering, mission work, research, clinical experiences.. anything that excites you that will also impress the adcoms. The average age of a person entering med school goes up every year, currently resting around 24-25 now I believe.

Thanks to both of you :) Haven't been getting great scores on the practice tests...