When to ask for a letter of rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkrossy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a second year undergrad and I've been thinking about letters of rec even though I'm not applying for a long time. I have a couple of questions:

1. When is the best time to ask a professor for a letter of rec? Closer to when I apply or right after I take their class? For example I'm doing extra work for my biopsych professor this quarter where I'll be writing a paper and meeting with her once a week through the writing process (it's for my school's honors program). I'm pretty sure I'll have formed a good relationship with her by the end of the quarter through this, so if I wanted her to write a letter, should I ask at the end of the quarter even though that's super early? I feel like if I wait 2 years she'd start to forget who I am.

2. How else can I form relationships with professors? I go to a large public school with 25k+ students, so all of my classes are pretty big and there aren't opportunities to be a TA since all of the TAs are grad students. I usually don't have a professor twice and sometimes professors only teach half/a third of a course. I know going to office hours is a good option, but how often should I be going in order for the professor to know me? Thanks so much you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

ASAP after your time with them will end. Like if your a TA do it after TA'ing that semester ends, and in your case at the end of this writing process thing youre doing with her. She will see you in a different light than just a student.

hould I ask at the end of the quarter even though that's super early?
never too early to build the LOR portfolio

I usually don't have a professor twice and sometimes professors only teach half/a third of a course. I know going to office hours is a good option, but how often should I be going in order for the professor to know me?

Office hours religiously, join a professors lab, TA, formal meetings for content "help", if a professor runs an extracurricular of some sort that youre into

Thats just off the top of my head, but sitting closer to the front in class and behaving (not on phone, laptop browsing, etc-- just being engaged in lecture) is the best way to be "noticed"

edit: totally missed the fact that you cant TA for a class, same still applies though

Reactions: 2 users
Also, never be afraid to be proactive about getting a strong letter. I like to visit office hours before the end of the term (to avoid the last minute bum-rush). Talk to them about your med school aspirations (if you haven't already) and ask them personally about writing a letter. Asking in person allows you to 1) establish more rapport and stand out, 2) gauge their genuine interest writing you a letter, and most importantly, 3) offer to brainstorm ideas with them. This will seriously help you determine if their letter is going to be strong aka show specific examples of your qualities, not the usual "they'll be a great [insert 'doctor'] for XYZ generic qualities" copy and pasta they dish out to every other student. You should walk in with several stories that showcase your talents.

Other tips:
1. Go to office hours throughout the term and get to know them. Sit in the front and be active in class so they remember you
2. Ask for the letter well in advance and give them a specific timeline. Use Interfolio to have them for later (or in case you reapply)
3. Offer them your personal statement, transcripts, resume, and/or CV to give them more information about you. They'll probably ask for one or more of these anyways so have them ready
4. Get your letters on official letterhead with signatures
5. Ask for more letters than you think you need. Professors will bail on you!
6. Send thank you notes and keep them updated on your application. Small gifts are optional. If you have a good relationship, continue to visit them

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, never be afraid to be proactive about getting a strong letter. I like to visit office hours before the end of the term (to avoid the last minute bum-rush). Talk to them about your med school aspirations (if you haven't already) and ask them personally about writing a letter. Asking in person allows you to 1) establish more rapport and stand out, 2) gauge their genuine interest writing you a letter, and most importantly, 3) offer to brainstorm ideas with them. This will seriously help you determine if their letter is going to be strong aka show specific examples of your qualities, not the usual "they'll be a great [insert 'doctor'] for XYZ generic qualities" copy and pasta they dish out to every other student. You should walk in with several stories that showcase your talents.

Other tips:
1. Go to office hours throughout the term and get to know them. Sit in the front and be active in class so they remember you
2. Ask for the letter well in advance and give them a specific timeline. Use Interfolio to have them for later (or in case you reapply)
3. Offer them your personal statement, transcripts, resume, and/or CV to give them more information about you. They'll probably ask for one or more of these anyways so have them ready
6. Send thank you notes and keep them updated on your application. Small gifts are optional. If you have a good relationship, continue to visit them

This is really great advice!! Thanks for writing this all out. I wish I had known to do all these from the start

Reactions: 1 user

Other tips:

Seconding this is great advice thanks Pierre :happy:

Reactions: 1 user