when to ask for rec letter?

Started by blobs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

blobs

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

How much time wtih an optometrist do you need (in the capacity of shadowing/working front desk/etc) until it is a good time to ask for a reccomendation letter? It seems as if shadowing (6-8 hours contact time) would be too short for them to write a letter.

I'm planning on shadowing my own optometrist (with whom i've been a patient for 6 years now) in a couple of weeks for a full day (10am-6pm), and i have some experience elsewhere as well. Do you guys think that a full day of shadowing plus the the fact that i've been a longtime patient is enough time for obtaining a rec letter, or is it absolutely essential to have spent time actually working in an optometry office (months) and then get the letter?

Thanks for any help.
 
I personally don't think it is necessary to work in an office to get a good letter of recommendation. It may make for a stronger letter, but I don't think it is necessary. Everybody getting into school hasn't worked for 10 years in an OD office. I asked my fairly early on (after about 10 hours of shadowing or so) and he was fine doing it and I'm sure he wrote a good letter. But, I guess the longer you do it and the more you get to know the OD the better the letter is.