Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

When to ask for Rec Letter

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by braineac, Dec 5, 2008.

1. braineac

Pre-Medical
    How early is too early to get a rec letter? I'm a second year now and I'd like to ask a staff member I'm working with around Spring. Is it too early?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Isoprop

Isoprop Fascinating, tell me more
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

never too early. just give them a month or two and have them send it to interfolio or virtual evals.

4. Steeler7588

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I'm aiming to ask people around February. I'll start working on my PS this break and January, get it proofread and all that jazz, and then hand in a packet to any people I'd want to write me letters. They're all people I did very well in their classes and got to know, but they might not know my motivations, so I just want to be prepared to present them with a resume and PS and offer to "interview" with them about why I want to be a doctor, just so they have an idea of why I chose this path.

5. shemarty

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's not too early, but you might end up meeting a lot of people in your 3rd year that you ultimately end up getting to know much better. There were people that I considered asking in my 2nd year that I ended up not asking at all by the time I was actually applying. It never hurts to keep the letter on file, though.