USMLE When to buy Step Materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brainslicer

Reaction score
I know that this has been discussed several times over but I have seen some varying opinions. So I know that First Aid Is like the bible of Step and I was wondering when I should purchase it along with other materials. Im going to be an M1 next week and while I'm definitely not trying to be a gunner, I've been out of school for a year and would like to get myself back in the groove of studying and hit the ground running etc. I also saw someone say that Pathoma Is important and its usually purchased in 2nd year but if you're in an organ systems based curriculum then you should get it during 1st year. So was wondering if I should hold off on getting these until 2nd year or get them now. Also, if you guys dont mind throwing in some other resources, and when to get them, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm aware of the UWorld, Kaplan, and the like.

Members don't see this ad.

i would peruse google and see what you can find for free....and then it depends on your goals, the structure of your curriculum, etc.

the package of materials i used fully were Boards and Beyond, Sketchy, UWorld (recommend), and Comquest (do not recommend, and it looks like youre at an md school anyway) in addition to lots of anki (covered my weak spots with 'anking' deck going into board season)

recommend buying BB for 2 years, sketchy (floats around the internet), buying UW 6mo out...and thats really all I would say you need.

edit: can't believe I forgot to mention to use Pathoma. (also floats around the internet)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations on getting into medical school! It's great that you are aware of the resources out there and are thinking early. My advice would be to use your first semester and year to focus on your M1 classes. Purchasing FA right now isn't in your best interest and is not a great use of your money for several reasons. First off, the book covers everything you learn over the first 2 years of med school. It is more of a review book and not good for learning information for the first time. It will probably make you feel overwhelmed if anything. Most importantly, every year First Aid updates their books. By the time you start studying for Step 1 there will be two newer editions and you want to use the newest edition when you start studying for Step 1.

The two resources I would consider using in M1 is Pathoma and Sketchy. The reason for this is because you can actually use these resources to supplement whatever you are learning in your M1 classes. Sketchy is time consuming, so I actually encourage students to get through them before designated Step 1 studying sometime during M1 or M2. Pathoma is also incredible and will help you understand and digest the high yield pathology topics that comes along with each system you cover in med school.

Since all three of these resources are time consuming, the most efficient and effective way to utilize them during M1 and/or M2 is to do them along with your basic science course work. For example, if you are going through Heme/Onc this week, then watch all the Heme/Onc videos in Pathoma, go through the chemo drugs in Sketchy pharm, and watch the fungus videos in Sketchy micro (fungus = think immunocompromised). It will not always line up perfectly but you can do your best to try.

One last thing, UWorld is an amazing resource, but I wouldn't start it in your first year or even early into your second year. It is best to start UWorld when you are closer to your designated study period. Starting UWorld too early can make students feel really discouraged and disappointed. Plus, it's a very expensive resource. A 30-day question bank costs $269 to give you an idea.

Hope this helps. Best of luck with everything and welcome to the beautiful world of medicine!

- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

Congratulations on getting into medical school! It's great that you are aware of the resources out there and are thinking early. My advice would be to use your first semester and year to focus on your M1 classes. Purchasing FA right now isn't in your best interest and is not a great use of your money for several reasons. First off, the book covers everything you learn over the first 2 years of med school. It is more of a review book and not good for learning information for the first time. It will probably make you feel overwhelmed if anything. Most importantly, every year First Aid updates their books. By the time you start studying for Step 1 there will be two newer editions and you want to use the newest edition when you start studying for Step 1.

The two resources I would consider using in M1 is Pathoma and Sketchy. The reason for this is because you can actually use these resources to supplement whatever you are learning in your M1 classes. Sketchy is time consuming, so I actually encourage students to get through them before designated Step 1 studying sometime during M1 or M2. Pathoma is also incredible and will help you understand and digest the high yield pathology topics that comes along with each system you cover in med school.

Since all three of these resources are time consuming, the most efficient and effective way to utilize them during M1 and/or M2 is to do them along with your basic science course work. For example, if you are going through Heme/Onc this week, then watch all the Heme/Onc videos in Pathoma, go through the chemo drugs in Sketchy pharm, and watch the fungus videos in Sketchy micro (fungus = think immunocompromised). It will not always line up perfectly but you can do your best to try.

One last thing, UWorld is an amazing resource, but I wouldn't start it in your first year or even early into your second year. It is best to start UWorld when you are closer to your designated study period. Starting UWorld too early can make students feel really discouraged and disappointed. Plus, it's a very expensive resource. A 30-day question bank costs $269 to give you an idea.

Hope this helps. Best of luck with everything and welcome to the beautiful world of medicine!

- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

Thank you so very much for the detailed response and thorough breakdown! Im going to take both of your advices and try to start with some supplemental material from Pathoma and Sketchy for now. Possibly BB later on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a big proponent of First Aid early on. It cost so little, it's strange not to invest in it relative to your tuition and other resources. Upper classmen are probably selling their 2019/2020 or even giving them away. If you buy a new 2020 version, you're out what, under $50? By second year, I've already seen so much of the graphs and mnemonics in First Aid that I knew exactly what was in it and what to annotate into it if I had to. First Aid for Step 1 is my biggest source of reference now and I'm in my dedicated for Step 2.

I'm a big proponent of First Aid early on. It cost so little, it's strange not to invest in it relative to your tuition and other resources. Upper classmen are probably selling their 2019/2020 or even giving them away. If you buy a new 2020 version, you're out what, under $50? By second year, I've already seen so much of the graphs and mnemonics in First Aid that I knew exactly what was in it and what to annotate into it if I had to. First Aid for Step 1 is my biggest source of reference now and I'm in my dedicated for Step 2.
You buy FA for Step 2? Thoughts on Step Up To Medicine instead?

I'm trying to decide on a text for following along while doing Q's, etc. for Step 2 prep.

You buy FA for Step 2? Thoughts on Step Up To Medicine instead?

I'm trying to decide on a text for following along while doing Q's, etc. for Step 2 prep.

Majority of my classmates use a combination of ome, uw, and anki, but not necessary all three together. I have FA Step 2 right now also, but when I have to reference something it's usually already in FA Step 1 already. Step Up is way too dense, and I realize I remember FA better since I studied it during Step 1. Recently I started using a bit more amboss for rare diseases not found in either FA. Now that UW on browser allows you to save images, I just put those summary charts into a word doc to refresh myself later. I also sometimes copy and paste the UW charts into my OME pdfs and wish I did that throughout 3rd year. Basically, I don't think it matters what you have, but just make sure it's succinct. I think UW and the charts are comprehensive enough, you don't really need to read any one textbook word for word. You can probably get away with just UW and a word doc to review later.

Majority of my classmates use a combination of ome, uw, and anki, but not necessary all three together. I have FA Step 2 right now also, but when I have to reference something it's usually already in FA Step 1 already. Step Up is way too dense, and I realize I remember FA better since I studied it during Step 1. Recently I started using a bit more amboss for rare diseases not found in either FA. Now that UW on browser allows you to save images, I just put those summary charts into a word doc to refresh myself later. I also sometimes copy and paste the UW charts into my OME pdfs and wish I did that throughout 3rd year. Basically, I don't think it matters what you have, but just make sure it's succinct. I think UW and the charts are comprehensive enough, you don't really need to read any one textbook word for word. You can probably get away with just UW and a word doc to review later.
What app you running for UW snaps?

I actually use OME vids, then due the corresponding Dorian anki subdecks, and will start UW questions this wk, so that's good as they seem to be the main sources.

I do like annotating text that's why I was thinking of getting FA for Step 2, so I can jot UW info into FA.
I like the word doc idea. I actually did something similiar for Step 1, but it was more like sentence or two on diff pathophys.

Thanks for the reply.

What app you running for UW snaps?

I actually use OME vids, then due the corresponding Dorian anki subdecks, and will start UW questions this wk, so that's good as they seem to be the main sources.

I do like annotating text that's why I was thinking of getting FA for Step 2, so I can jot UW info into FA.
I like the word doc idea. I actually did something similiar for Step 1, but it was more like sentence or two on diff pathophys.

Thanks for the reply.
You can use UW directly on your browser now. It runs better than the app by far and doesn't take over your copy/paste function. You can't copy/paste text, but you can screenshot.

My word doc is just full of UW images that I needed to hammer in and lines of text clarifying stuff for me, specifically pathways or unique stuff about certain pathology. I really wish I did it sooner because it's relatively easy to review since it's mostly my writing. I separated it by systems except for peds,psych, and obgyn. I annotated some in FA Step 2, but it's just way too wordy to read towards dedicated. I actually read some of it for weaker sections, but only recommend it as a reference overall. The tables and flowcharts in UW are just too good and summarizes pathology decent enough for you to answer most questions with.