When to deal with CASPER and Preview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toastedbutter

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the MACT on Friday (any other 3/24s out there?). Just now realized I completely forgot to read up on CASPER and Preview and figure out what to do about those. I am planning on applying this May, when should I take those? Are they exams you should study for like the MCAT, and are these exams you can take at home or do you go to a testing center? I don't have any time to research them right now, cramming before the MCAT, but if anyone could drop a quick crash course on these I would be grateful.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking the MACT on Friday (any other 3/24s out there?). Just now realized I completely forgot to read up on CASPER and Preview and figure out what to do about those. I am planning on applying this May, when should I take those? Are they exams you should study for like the MCAT, and are these exams you can take at home or do you go to a testing center? I don't have any time to research them right now, cramming before the MCAT, but if anyone could drop a quick crash course on these I would be grateful.

Thanks
You do those at home but you have your computer webcam on for remote proctoring.

I recommend turning in your primary app and then when you are waiting for (or working on) secondary essays you can look into CASPer and Preview. Many schools don’t require them. You will need to look at the web page of each school on your list.

We have a separate Casper/SJT forum where if there is news, we will carry it forward. As it stands you shouldn't freak out about Casper or PREview unless you know those schools required them last year. The AAMC will release the list of schools that will request applicant PREview results (noting how this is worded) by the end of April prior to the opening of AMCAS. Last year there were 18 schools that wanted PREview results, and I expect the number to double this cycle.

Acuity Insights should also have finalized their list of Casper programs so that one can begin scheduling for an exam window beginning in May as well.

So as it stands, you are fine. Our SJT survey results suggest most people took maybe 2 weeks to prepare with all the free prep they could get (test constructors sites, our free Casper/SJT PrepMatch forum for starters). There are for-profit entities selling packages for Casper and PREview prep. Our survey suggests the areas that really caught test-takers off-guard: the time pressure, proctoring, and an occasional glitch.

If you require accommodations, you need to file them with the test-takers. It is possible that an accommodation could require you to take the exam at a bonafide testing center, but we're seeking more details.

Mods: feel free to move this thread over to the Casper/SJT forum if you see fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. Does AMCAS automatically integrate results for these tests into the application like it does the MCAT? Or after I take it do I send every school that needs the scores individually?

Thank you. Does AMCAS automatically integrate results for these tests into the application like it does the MCAT? Or after I take it do I send every school that needs the scores individually?
Since the test is no longer in the pilot phase, I am sure that the scores will integrate with your AMCAS application like the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user