1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

when to do step2

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by freeWillieB, Aug 9, 2006.

1. freeWillieB

freeWillieB Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    With a step 1 of 259 - I'm thinking of putting off step 2 as long as possible so residency programs will only see my step 1 - in case I don't do as well on step 2. Is that wise, or will there be programs who would like to see a step 2 score before interviewing me? Thanks in advance -

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PDT4CNV

PDT4CNV Physician/Surgeon
    5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    It is fine to put off step 2. Many applicants will have not yet taken step 2 by interview time. Or, take step 2 at a time where you will get your score back during rank list time. You can always just forward it on to the program secretary if you do well on step 2. Your usmle score is just a small piece of the puzzle.

4. 7ontheline

7ontheline Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No one cares about your Step 2 score if your Step 1 score is good.

5. xaelia

xaelia neenlet
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    I did well enough on Step 1 that I'd have to exert myself to match it on Step 2.

So, I'm not taking it until December 21st.

6. Olddog1

Olddog1 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Lee Corso: Not so fast my friend. I would not really want to explain how I did 259 on Step One then 195 on Step 2. The plan is OK to wait on step 2. Many places make up their mind on the day of the interview or the day or two after the last interview of the year. Hence the step 2 scores will have no impact on your seeding. However, if you were just OK on step one then ace step 2 I would send a letter the day you get the scores, even if it is not official, to make sure the committe has it.

7. 7ontheline

7ontheline Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What I meant was that no one cares if you haven't taken Step 2 if your Step 1 score is good. You're right, I should have been more clear.

8. ryangeraets

ryangeraets Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

all the posts above pose legitimate arguments for postponing step 2; HOWEVER, as someone who has been through a few interviewing/rank list sessions, I can tell you that though board scores are not the biggest deal after you have been selected for an interview, it does seem like an applicant is "hiding behind" a pretty good step one score if they have done well and then not taken step 2. The step one score is really not as relevant as the step 2 score in terms of clinical application of knowledge (read as practicing medicine). Even though step 2 is still a far cry from practicing medicine, if you have at least taken it and done reasonably well it does give you a leg up compared to the applicant who has not even taken step 2.

Let's face it, you have no business getting a 195 on step 2 when you have the ability to post a 259 on step one...

Just think about it from the program's point of view when they know that most people have the time to take step 2 before interview season.

9. freeWillieB

freeWillieB Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    both points of view make sense - that's kind of why I asked the question to begin with - it seems like a 259 and a 250 might put me a leg up on someone with a 259 alone, but a 259 and 220 might be worse than a 259 alone - I've got a while to decide, thanks for the input folks

10. 7ontheline

7ontheline Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Really? The application process basically starts as soon as M4 year starts. Depending on the school, you barely have time to get into the career ophtho rotation, maybe do 1 away rotation, and then the application is due. My school, for instance, was pretty rigid and we basically only did core rotations as an M3. That doesn't leave much time before the suggested super-early application due date. When is there time to take Step 2? I certainly wasn't going to take it before I did my main rotations.

Plus a lot of the students I know are busting their butts on research projects so they'll have something to talk about. What incentive is there to also study for Step 2 (admittedly not that hard if you did well on Step 1) so you can squeeze it in there? Probably won't even have your scores back anyway. At my old program I know the people on the selection committee cared a lot about a respectable/good Step 1 score, but Step 2 was kind of ignored. The only thing it could do was hurt you, as the the OP is concerned about. It was pretty much assumed you could get a good Step 2 score if you got a good Step 1 score, since they're both really mostly regurgitation of knowledge on multiple-choice tests.

11. xaelia

xaelia neenlet
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    ...isn't that what your clerkship grades are for?

12. ryangeraets

ryangeraets Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

yes, and your step 2 score as well...

when you look at applicants, you don't completely compartmentalize their applications...you use ALL the data with slightly varying weights to come to a general conclusion as to whether or not you would like that particular applicant to be a part of your program.

13. Josh37

Josh37 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    How late is too late to take step 2?

I understand scores take at most 6 weeks to get back, I'd like to have step 2 on board to get it in on my app. Can I wait til October though?

Thoughts?

14. 4424

4424 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    that doesn't make sense the way i'm understanding it. you want to have step 2 on your application but want to take it in october? application target date is sept 7. and yes it takes between 3-6 weeks to get the results back so you're looking at end of nov/early dec. you could bring the score to interviews i suppose but taking it at that time will probably not get you anymore interviews.

at least that's how i understand it

15. Josh37

Josh37 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    When I say 'on my app' I mean getting it to the school in time that it would influence there decision making for interviews. Adding it after I mailed in the CAS.

So taking it, waiting for the score and then reporting it myself.

I just don't know how early I have to be sure for it to matter, and if I do it early if it will matter. Taking it early then I risk a less than my-best score.

16. Josh37

Josh37 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    any thoughts?

17. 4424

4424 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    taking it in october would be too late to have it in considerations of getting interviews i think

18. neverstopdreamn

neverstopdreamn New Member

Medical Student
    How about with a step 1 of 237? Is it more imperative to take step 2 sooner?

19. azzarah

azzarah sleepy!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I did well on step 1 and won't be taking step 2 ck or cs until end of december.