When to file FAFSA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rls303

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have applied for the 2010-2011 year to both Allopathic and Osteopathic schools. I have still not received an interview, but I'm still praying that something happens in my favor. I am also working on applying to Carribean schools as well.

I am a current student at UC Irvine and I have been receiving aid through FAFSA. I have not had to take out any loans.

Should I go ahead and apply to FAFSA and place schools that I think I might have a chance at on the application?

Let's say I don't get accepted anywhere this cycle, will filing a FAFSA this cycle affect my chances of getting aid next cycle?

I am also looking at applying to Masters/SMP programs, do they have the same protocol?

Lastly, I am a California resident and I'm of Asian Indian descent, are there any scholarships that you guys would recommend applying for?

I know that I will have to take out a lot of loans, but I'm hoping that I might be able to get some aid to help me!

Thanks in advance...Happy Holidays! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Should I go ahead and apply to FAFSA and place schools that I think I might have a chance at on the application?
Just fill out the FAFSA. Don't send it to any schools yet. They will ask for it once you are accepted and they waive the deadline if you are accepted after the deadline.

Let's say I don't get accepted anywhere this cycle, will filing a FAFSA this cycle affect my chances of getting aid next cycle?
Filling it out won't hurt you, but don't send it to schools ahead of an acceptance. Just wait.

I am also looking at applying to Masters/SMP programs, do they have the same protocol?

Don't know, perhaps someone else can help you with this.

Lastly, I am a California resident and I'm of Asian Indian descent, are there any scholarships that you guys would recommend applying for?
There aren't many scholarships for medical school unfortunately (even for the minorities in medicine: african americans, native americans, and latinos). Asian Indians are overrepresented in medicine so you are unlikely to get any scholarship money.

You might get grant money from your school once you are in. Many will give you "grants" to cover the rest of the loans if they would max you out annually. At least they do for people who's parents are low-income (usually being less than 100k or so). But that won't be worked out until you are applying for aid at a school that has accepted you.

Just fill out the FAFSA. Don't send it to any schools yet. They will ask for it once you are accepted and they waive the deadline if you are accepted after the deadline.

Filling it out won't hurt you, but don't send it to schools ahead of an acceptance. Just wait.

Don't know, perhaps someone else can help you with this.

There aren't many scholarships for medical school unfortunately (even for the minorities in medicine: african americans, native americans, and latinos). Asian Indians are overrepresented in medicine so you are unlikely to get any scholarship money.

You might get grant money from your school once you are in. Many will give you "grants" to cover the rest of the loans if they would max you out annually. At least they do for people who's parents are low-income (usually being less than 100k or so). But that won't be worked out until you are applying for aid at a school that has accepted you.

Thank you! Happy new year!
working on fafsa as we speak! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
At least put the Masters/SMP schools on the FAFSA. There is no penalty to entering schools on the FAFSA. You can put up to 10 at a time. After the application is processed you can go back to the form to add additional schools.

Hi,

Hi,

The previous post was correct, it does not hurt to list schools on the FAFSA. If you aren't accepted into a school that you send your FAFSA information to, they likely won't ever process your information. You can list up to 10 schools that you want the information sent to, so you may want to wait until you narrow down your list of schools, but either way is fine. You can also always add more schools later if needed.

Completing a FAFSA this year will have no effect on your aid for next year. You'll need to complete a new FAFSA each year, anyways.

The priority FAFSA deadline is April 1, so I recommend getting the FAFSA submitted by March 1 in case anything goes wrong or you are selected for verification. (About 40% of applicants are randomly selected for verification, whcih basically means that you have to submit an extra document and copies of your tax returns...this process takes a while, so you want to apply early, in case!)

So I applied to around 20 schools. 4 or so ive been pre-interview rejected. I have interviewed at 3 schools so far and still waiting to hear back from them whether i've been accepted, rejected, or wait listed.

My question is..How many and which schools should I include in my list of 10 schools? I have entered the 3 codes for the 3 schools ive interviewed at but other than that...i have no clue what i should do from here. Should, just wait and add other schools when I hear from them about an interview?

Thanks!

Doesn't matter. Pick them out of a hat if you want. Or wait until you get an interview and then add those at a later time. It's still early.