When to have professors call?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Step1sucked

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a below average applicant (Step I 217, 1 honors 3rd year, 15 pubs, no AOA). I have been invited to two ophtho interviews and I keep getting rejections. I applied to 90+ programs, so this is what I expected, but there are some schools I thought I would get a chance with. Even they are rejecting me.

So what should I do? Cold call and express my interest in programs?

I have heard that it is a good idea to have professors call. How should I approach this?

Members don't see this ad.

At this point in the process it would be a good idea for you to sit down with the program director or chair of your home department and tell him your situation. He may have recommendations you haven't thought about. You can ask professors to call for you, but if they don't know you it won't help much.

I know two professors very well, both of them offered to make telephone calls for me if needed. The department chair is my mentor with whom I've worked on several projects.

I'm simply not sure what to say except the obvious. Should I say 'I am bad at getting interviews, can you get me one somewhere?' or is there a more polite/formal way of approaching this, like 'I am having trouble contacting program directors..' etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
I could give each professor a list of all the schools I applied to, give each a list of those that haven't informed me of rejection, give each a list of those that are regionally relevant.

Whatever it is, I'll prepare telephone numbers, DC and PD names.

this is always a tricky situation. Calls at places that you are interested AFTER you have interviewed there I think are a bit more useful because it really expresses interest and commitment to a program. On the other hand, calls BEFORE you have even been offered an interview may not play out quite as well. The last thing you want is a "sympathy" interview where you are invited simply because of a call from a colleague of the program director at a place that you don't have a realistic chance of getting a spot. On the other hand, you really don't have much to lose at this point in the game. I would say you give your chairman or program director or mentor a list of the top places you are interested in (where you may have a realistic chance) and also ask them to call any place that they feel comfortable calling (ie. they may have close connections to one of the faculty for one reason or another). You can also call and email yourself expressing interest in programs. This worked for me as I got an interview offer after someone cancelled simply be emailing the PD and secretary about how interested I was in the program.

Best of luck.

Did you get an interview at your home program?

JMK: yes and I am on their wait list, that was the best my mentor could do for me. my institution has a 230 cutoff that was recently instituted because a resident didn't pass his boards.

JMK: yes and I am on their wait list, that was the best my mentor could do for me. my institution has a 230 cutoff that was recently instituted because a resident didn't pass his boards.

That's tough. It's too bad that your home institution is so heavily focused on USMLE. Personally, I think ophthalmology boards are more a matter of commitment to keeping up with the material while in residency and doing well on OKAPs, rather than step 1 scores.

Usually your home program is your best bet since you are known to them. Since you can't rely on them, really show your interest to the program that you've rotated through.

I disagree with a few of the prior comments. I think it is better to call BEFORE you interview. Calling afterwards is of little consequence as applicants are ranked at the end of the interview day. It is better to have all your cards on the table by the time of your interview. The other thing to remember is that your Step 1 score is getting you screened out of many programs. If your department chair can make programs look a bit closer at your app, they may pay more attention to your pubs etc. Programs are too swamped with applicants to give everyone whose mentor calls a pity interview. You will get additional interviews from programs that are actually interested in you.

Last edited:
Another question to you guys, this applies specifically to MSTAKing: how should I go about "expressing [my] interest" to a program? For example I want to write an email to both inform the PD that I am interested in his/her program but I also want to communicate to the coordinator that if he/she has open slots, I am an easy alternative.

Would that be something I could accomplish with an email written to the PD that the coordinator would have to pass to him/her?

I'm in the middle of writing an email that says:

Dear Coordinator,

The following is intended for Dr. Program Directorson. Please forward to him.

Dear Dr. Directorson,

I am a fourth-year medical student at the University of Awesomeness and have applied for a residency position at your program. I have received interview offers at many programs in the country, but have not yet heard back from your program. I am extremely interest in the Cityofinterest program. This is for three reasons. First, Cityofinterest is XYZ. Second, it's strength is XYZ. Finally, I am most excited to XYZ.

The Cityofinterest program is an excellent prospect for me. Thank you for reviewing my application. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Name

**sound ok?

or should I email the coordinator only and say:

Dear Coordinator,

I am a fourth-year medical student at the University of Awesomeness and have applied for a residency position at your program. I have received interview offers at many programs in the country, but have not yet heard back from your program. I am extremely interest in Programname and was curious regarding the status of my application.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Name

or should I email the coordinator only and say:

Dear Coordinator,

I am a fourth-year medical student at the University of Awesomeness and have applied for a residency position at your program. I have received interview offers at many programs in the country, but have not yet heard back from your program. I am extremely interest in Programname and was curious regarding the status of my application.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Name

maybe leave out "i have received interview offers at many programs" saying this will leave them wondering why they should hand you another invite, not wondering what they're missing out on. at the same time, i wouldn't say "i've been getting no interviews, please send me one." just don't say anything about your interview count, i think it's risky.

i would add some specific details about the program that makes you a good fit too.

also there's a typo: "i am extremely interest"

good luck! =)

I kind of agree that at this point any interview is better than no interview. Put your cards on the table. If you've worked with the chair, PD etc at your home program on various projects it's time to ask them to go to bat for you.

I think when I emailed it was similar to yours, though, I disguised it a bit better by making the opening a question asking if there was any additional information they needed from me to make my application complete, then going on to express my interest in the program similar to your phrasing. Not sure this is any better, but at least it didn't seem as desperate that way...maybe!!

At this point in the game, do what you have to do and get more of those invites if you can