When to reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medapple

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This past cycle, I applied first-time with a 9,10,10 Q and a 3.7 undergrad GPA, but was taking an extra year to do a few prerequisites (so I graduated in 2006, but took 2006-2007 to take a few prerequisites).

I've been waitlisted, and don't know if I should reapply for Fall 2008 entry or Fall 2009 entry because of the following: 1) my MCAT has expired, and if I'm going to take this again, I'm going to take it in August so that I absolutely get a higher mark.

Option 1: If I take it in August (I don't feel that I'll be prepared earlier), that means that I won't get my mark until September (and I have to wait for my MCAT in order to submit the primary application), and thus I can't reapply until September 2007. If I do have late applications for Fall 2008 entry, what kind of MCAT score do I need so that I get interviews?

Option 2: Just write the MCAT this August, go to grad school for 2 years, and apply again for Fall 2009 entry.

(Besides writing the MCAT earlier, which I'm not really considering) What other options should I consider?

Question 2: For Fall 2007, I want to get a Master Public Health b/c this will be my backup incase I never get into med school. But I've been told that I should do do a Masters Science, in which I may make some contacts with people in med school. Or I could work for a year. Given that my GPA is good, would admissions look negativity at my application if I do an MPH or work (rather than do something involving basic sciences)?

One final question: given what mentioned above, I need to figure out what is going wrong. Here are a few reasons my application process wasn't great. Would somebody be able to give me an idea of which follies had the greatest impact on my being waitlisted (I think rejected probably):
1) I applied to secondaries in Sept-Nov
2) My MCAT was 29
3) In my extra year, I didn't really do much worth noting in terms of research/extracurricular (in truth, I wanted to make sure I did well in Physics and Orgo, I've been looking at PhD programs/backup plans, but of course I didn't mention this). Does this have a negative impact on my application, or is it common to drop alot of extracurriculars/research if taking an extra year?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

This past cycle, I applied first-time with a 9,10,10 Q and a 3.7 undergrad GPA, but was taking an extra year to do a few prerequisites (so I graduated in 2006, but took 2006-2007 to take a few prerequisites).

I've been waitlisted, and don't know if I should reapply for Fall 2008 entry or Fall 2009 entry because of the following: 1) my MCAT has expired, and if I'm going to take this again, I'm going to take it in August so that I absolutely get a higher mark.

Option 1: If I take it in August (I don't feel that I'll be prepared earlier), that means that I won't get my mark until September (and I have to wait for my MCAT in order to submit the primary application), and thus I can't reapply until September 2007. If I do have late applications for Fall 2008 entry, what kind of MCAT score do I need so that I get interviews?

Option 2: Just write the MCAT this August, go to grad school for 2 years, and apply again for Fall 2009 entry.

(Besides writing the MCAT earlier, which I'm not really considering) What other options should I consider?

Question 2: For Fall 2007, I want to get a Master Public Health b/c this will be my backup incase I never get into med school. But I've been told that I should do do a Masters Science, in which I may make some contacts with people in med school. Or I could work for a year. Given that my GPA is good, would admissions look negativity at my application if I do an MPH or work (rather than do something involving basic sciences)?

One final question: given what mentioned above, I need to figure out what is going wrong. Here are a few reasons my application process wasn't great. Would somebody be able to give me an idea of which follies had the greatest impact on my being waitlisted (I think rejected probably):
1) I applied to secondaries in Sept-Nov
2) My MCAT was 29
3) In my extra year, I didn't really do much worth noting in terms of research/extracurricular (in truth, I wanted to make sure I did well in Physics and Orgo, I've been looking at PhD programs/backup plans, but of course I didn't mention this). Does this have a negative impact on my application, or is it common to drop alot of extracurriculars/research if taking an extra year?

Your GPA and MCAT are fine.

You applied very late and, needless to say, this did not work in your favor. You were likely rejected from some schools due to this reason alone.

A MPH will be looked on positively if the adcom member really understands what health care is all about. The knowledge you gain in an MPH program helps you see the big picture with health care and gives you additional expertise, such as epidemiology and biostatistics. I don't see how this could be seen negatively.

I've had former adcom members tell me that one thing you should NEVER do at an interview is tell the interviewer that you have a backup plan. If you have a backup, then you're not totally committed. If you're pressed for a backup plan, tell them your backup is to improve your application and to reapply. First and foremost, you have to show the interviewer that you are committed and you have something special to bring to the class.

If I were you, I would study for 2 - 3 months (or however long you need), retake the MCAT, be VERY sure that you can at least score as well as you did the first time around, and apply for Fall 2008.