When to register for the USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorWannaBe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When should I register for the USMLE in order to get a good test date? My school offers a few workshops on the USMLE at the end of January, but I'm wondering if I should register now before my classmates do so I don't get stuck with a bad test date.

Members don't see this ad.

i would start the registration process now. that way you can get your registration number as soon as possible and then think a bit about the exact date you want and where you want to take it depending on what your school has to say in those workshops.

just an idea since it takes a couple of weeks between wehn you pay for your test and when they allow you to pick a date, since you have to print out some forms and get a picture and official seal from your school administration.

if your class is anything like our class last year you should go ahead and register now and try to figure out your test date soon. i was one of the late comers and had to take the exam 2 days prior to when i wanted to, but it really didn't make any difference in the end. i was happy to have done it that way. took 4 days off after the path exam and then started up and studied for just over 4 weeks and loved having the extra time for vacation before rotations started. PM me if need be.