Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

When to retake mcat

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by DeeVeeZee, 05.17.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. DeeVeeZee

DeeVeeZee 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in but here it goes...

Want to apply this cycle but got a 26 on mcat took on apr 5th ( 11 ps 10 bio 5 vr). I know I have to retake and boost verbal to have any chance but I know the earlier you submit things in the cycle the better, but I also need adequate time to boost my score. Talked to premed advisor and she suggested retaking in August. She feels that getting scores back by sept shouldn't hurt my chances bc I feel the earlier the better but I also know I need time to prepare. Any comments greatly appreciated.....

Btw 3.77 cGPA, what kind of mcat score do you guys think I need to get an acceptance anywhere in the us? Am I even close?

Thanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Boolean

Boolean

Having your app completed w/ MCAT by September is fairly late…

Hard to say with just your GPA. Do you have research? EC's (Clinical, Non-Clinical), LOR's?

4. DeeVeeZee

DeeVeeZee 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    1 semester of research in a lab for credit, volunteer solid and shadowing have at least 50 hours in surgery and clinicals, have 3 letters (two from chem profs and 1 from cordinator from volunteering)

5. plumazul

plumazul ☮, ♥, & ♫ 2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    What were you scoring on your practice tests? Was the 5 a complete surprise? Are you certain you will do better in August? Perhaps taking a year off to get your application as strong as you can get it, is worth considering.

About the ads