when to schedule usmle step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgerwin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a DO student who originally didn't plan on usmle at all but my geographic concentration has changed to NYC which seems more usmle oriented. So I'm going to take step 2. Problem is I can't before 7/30/10 but I still want to apply in sept. When should I schedule and how long should I leave to prep?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a DO student who originally didn't plan on usmle at all but my geographic concentration has changed to NYC which seems more usmle oriented. So I'm going to take step 2. Problem is I can't before 7/30/10 but I still want to apply in sept. When should I schedule and how long should I leave to prep?

If you want your scores to be available by Sep 1, you should take Step 2 CK as early in Aug as possible since it generally takes 3-4 weeks to get the scores back. Prep shouldn't take more than a month.

so, I have rotations and colloqium until July 31st. I can take 2 weeks off in aug. If I started studying a bit at a time, could I pull off step 2 by Aug 10-ish?