When to send in the area / interest emails ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

californiaappli1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When should I send in the area emails ? Say I have an interview in mid December . Week before ? Month before ?

Also when do you guys start contacting programs expressing interest ?

Members don't see this ad.

It's so weird back in my day it seemed like it was taboo to do that sort of thing... I was told they should only hear from another doc on your behalf if they had connections there.

I was told to save the LOIs and stuff for 2nd looks etc after interview.

Maybe it's all diff now could be wrong

When should I send in the area emails ? Say I have an interview in mid December . Week before ? Month before ?

Also when do you guys start contacting programs expressing interest ?

Id email once you know that school has offered interviews (week after) AND you are from a far place requiring travel AND are competitive for a spot there.

In regards to second looks, I did one at the place I am at now for my own second eval of the program.... I was told they didn't matter and this might be true. Should really ask now that I am here if it helped haha.

Reactions: 1 user
It's funny because even if they said no, how would you really know? Only if the PD didn't know or if it's a committee process and it never came up.

That's the beauty of cognitive biases!