when to send transcripts to AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

javandane

He's so hot right now
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
the application becomes available "on or about 5/1". when do they begin accepting transcripts?

Members don't see this ad.

javandane said:
the application becomes available "on or about 5/1". when do they begin accepting transcripts?

You can start sending them then, but they wont process them until july if previous year's patterns hold. In any case, send them in as soon as you can.

There is a section of the evil AMCAS application that allows you to print transcript request pages based upon the institutions you included in your list of colleges attended. I believe they want the schools to send this page with their transcrips, but those schools who wire their transcripts to AMCAS will not need them.

It's been a while, but I think that's how it works.

peace.

Members don't see this ad :)
Send them as soon as amcas make the application available and you can print the transcrip request form. It can take WEEKS for the transcripts to get there, and then more WEEKS for amcas to acknowledge via e-mail that yes they received them and start processing your application.

exmike said:
You can start sending them then, but they wont process them until july if previous year's patterns hold. In any case, send them in as soon as you can.

exmike, you're kidding about AMCAS processing that late, right?.. what about EDP applicants that need to be processed by June to get an interview in late July.

Just to put the information out there...

it took AMCAS two months to process my transcripts after they were received.

This doesn't seem normal based on what I've heard from others, but there was no particular explanation for it in my case, so just be prepared to encounter setbacks of that kind.

javandane said:

if u send in may, are chances greater that they'll lose it?

derf said:
exmike, you're kidding about AMCAS processing that late, right?.. what about EDP applicants that need to be processed by June to get an interview in late July.

I'm not kidding, If you search back through the threads for this app cycle, you'll see that the earliest apps were transmitted was early/mid July. EDP people will probably get their interviews in very late july/august/early sept, and find out in oct. That timeline makes sense.

Okay we are talking about two different things here. I think that exmike is talking about how long it takes amcas to actually VERIFY your transcripts with what you put on amcas, that CAN take up to 6 weeks or more. I think the OP was talking about just sending in the transcripts which is another process so amcas HAS the transcripts to later whenever you can submit start verifying. Guys send in the transcripts ASAP because that CAN take WEEKS to get there and then WEEKS for amcas to e-mail you with the "yes we have the transcript from X or Y school". If you have MULTIPLE transcripts it can even take longer beware. I remember sending in my transcripts in May and it took them almost 4 weeks for amcas to acknowledge that they had them. Sooo send in transcripts as soon as you can print the TRF (transcript request form) so at least your transcripts are there and ready to go. To the poster that asked if your transcripts will get lost the anwer is usually not, as soon as you log on to amcas and get a password to start filling it out they (amcas) will have a record of YOU. As the transcripts get in they will e-mail you with your amcas id and all that and let you know they have them. Again do NOT wait until you are ready to submit to send in your transcripts because BEFORE they start processing your application the transcripts have to get there. With thousands of transcripts it is a loooong process so get cracking.

jhk43 said:
if u send in may, are chances greater that they'll lose it?

Of course they will lose them, they are AMCAS.

Seriously, they do lose a truckload of stuff, but that can happen when you send them early or later, so really there is no point in waiting. Think of it this way.... In May all they are getting and processing is transcripts. Once the application process is officially opened, then they are now dealing with applications and money payments and transcripts, etc. So there is much more for them to do.

Send them when all they have to do is process transcripts.

And please do yourselves a favor, make sure your name is correct on all your transcripts or make sure you have included all your names on their form. This mainly goes for women who have gotten married. Make sure they have all your names correct so that they can correctly match your name to ALL your transcripts.

They didn't lose mine either. However the first time applied was the first year they went online and it was a NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They changed my name and I had to go through He-- just to get them to put the correct name on my application. I spent over 100 hours just trying to do my application because they didn't allocate enough servers. And if you wanted to call them....... you had to literally sit on hold for HOURS. I sat on hold for 3 and 1/2 hours one day alone. Aaahhhh those were the days. :rolleyes:

You all are so lucky they have improved drastically over these past several years.

I won't be getting my grade for this semester until at least Mid-May. Should I wait for them to be processed before I send in my transcript? Will this delay my application severely?

Well amcas is pretty much used to the online application and last year I had no problems getting the application done and submitted. I think that the folks that had some glitches was due to submitting the application "later" ....not realizing that the process can take up to two months.

I agree.... wait until you have your final transcripts that include all the grades you want the schools to see initally. You can always send in updates to the schools as the process continues, but send in all transcripts that are complete as soon as you can.