When to send update letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roundgarlic

Reaction score
Was lucky enough to have my abstract accepted as a formal presentation at a medical school in my state's conference! Also have had some progress on the activities that I mentioned in my primary. Currently waiting on a publication that my lab submitted revisions for a couple months ago.

My question is - when does it make sense to submit update letters? Had an interview with my dream school almost a month ago and according to previous years, they start their acceptances end of October/early November. Also want to consider that Texas schools start doing prematches in a couple weeks. Also want to consider that there are several schools I haven't received an II from but am still really interested in. My head is sort of spinning and I'm not really sure what I should be sending when and what the best thing to do is to maximize the impact of the letter and how to take into consideration schools that do rolling decisions vs. schools that explicitly say we won't be getting decisions until March. Would appreciate any advice - thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

when is your conference? when do you expect to hear back about your publication?
I would wait until after at least one of those events has occurred.
The conference is in January, and that feels too far away. Publication should be soon hopefully, since we submitted it 2 months ago. But thank you!

when does it make sense to submit update letters?
First, you already have a lot on your application that consists of impressive accomplishments. I don't think adding one update tips the scale with so much you already have done. How many IIs have you gotten in total?

Prioritize your school list. You say you had an inevitable from a dream school but you still want to consider others. You have until February to get more IIs, and enrollment commitment doesn't happen until later with CYMS. Prematch is coming up and I'm guessing you want another school in play from prematch... but you may have schools waiting because they altar interviewed their prematch candidates.

In short, you have to calm down. You have a great profile, and you can afford to wait. If you must update, wait until after your conference. I'd also say the same with your publication (again, a feather on a stone doesn't add that much more).