When to send updates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDPedigree

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, so I have some substantial updates I can send to med schools. One of them is a link to a publication (I vaguely mentioned in my AMCAS that my second author paper had been published, but I did not have a link yet) as well as being hired to a pretty high profile non-medical job (at one of the world's top companies, google for example).

My question is, should I send this update to schools now? I already have some interviews coming up (have not attended any) so I was thinking maybe I could send those to the schools post interview as an update? or maybe save them as a waitlist update if I do get waitlisted?

And what about the schools I have yet to hear back from? If I do send them now, I feel like I won't have much to updates them on later like if I'm on the waitlist and need something substantial. I am in a gap year so I wont have grades or anything.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're already getting interviews, I'd say save it for post-interview at those schools so have substance and show your interest.

As for pre-interview, you'll have to check each school for how receptive they are to pre-interview updates. Some are outright no, some only accept grades, and some have looser requirements.

Good luck on your interviews and congrats on the cool job!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
If you're already getting interviews, I'd say save it for post-interview at those schools so have substance and show your interest.

As for pre-interview, you'll have to check each school for how receptive they are to pre-interview updates. Some are outright no, some only accept grades, and some have looser requirements.

Good luck on your interviews and congrats on the cool job!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thank You so much!