quackquack

Waterloo Optometry 2015
7+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2009
Ontario
Status
Optometry Student
What's a good time to sign up for OAT if I want to write it in August 2010? I can do it now but if i do it later, would it be so busy that i won't get a date?

THanks for any advices!

Arctic

PCO Class of 2014
Aug 16, 2009
Status
Optometry Student
If you're taking the OAT in August, then there really isn't a reason to sign up for it yet. You are correct that it would be wise to sign up for it early, but if you signed up in June that would still be considered early by most standards.

Commando303

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2009
Status
From when you register, you have one year in which to take the O.A.T. You can use that time-frame to calculate when it would be prudent for you to sign up.

lovelydisaster

UHCO c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2007
Status
Pre-Optometry
Good stuff, Commando! I didn't know that!

Mewcakes

SCO c/o 2014
Feb 10, 2010
Mewing at cakes
Status
Optometry Student
I signed up for my 2nd OAT like...3 weeks before I had intended to take it. It was around Thanksgiving and I think I wanted to try to do it like...the day before Thanksgiving but everything was booked 1 week before and 1 week after the holiday. I ended up scheduling for about a week before Thanksgiving cutting my remaining study time down to 2 weeks. Yuck. Anyways, so like..3 days before my scheduled date, I freaked out and was like "I'M NOT READY" and pushed it back another week without any problems. Though there previously wasn't a spot available that week, so I'm sure someone had canceled which allowed a space to open up for me.

So take-home-note: Register at least a month before so you can have better control over when you take it. But don't be afraid to push it back if you're not ready. I think there's only a $20 resched. fee.