When to start asking for LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simbad8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Osteopathic MS3 here interested in pursuing ACGME gen surg (step 1: 233). I'm currently on my surgery rotation and have only had outpatient FM for two months before this so I wanted to know if asking for LORs at this point in time is a good idea? Or do most people wait until electives 4th year? I feel like currently my clinical knowledge/skills are clearly lacking since it's my very first inpatient rotation and wouldn't want a letter to reflect that. But on the other hand, I get stressed about waiting to ask for letters until 4th year... it just seems so late to me... Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Osteopathic MS3 here interested in pursuing ACGME gen surg (step 1: 233). I'm currently on my surgery rotation and have only had outpatient FM for two months before this so I wanted to know if asking for LORs at this point in time is a good idea? Or do most people wait until electives 4th year? I feel like currently my clinical knowledge/skills are clearly lacking since it's my very first inpatient rotation and wouldn't want a letter to reflect that. But on the other hand, I get stressed about waiting to ask for letters until 4th year... it just seems so late to me... Any advice is appreciated!
Never a good idea to ask for a letter during 3rd year unless you are particularly impressive or they volunteer to write you one. Otherwise, get them in 4th year. 3rd year ended for us in the end of May, I did surgical electives in June, July, August, September and got 5 letters from them (wasn't expecting a letter in September and it's late then so didn't want to risk it so got my 4 letters from the first 3, then sent 4 for each depending on the program).

Reactions: 1 user
Never a good idea to ask for a letter during 3rd year unless you are particularly impressive or they volunteer to write you one. Otherwise, get them in 4th year. 3rd year ended for us in the end of May, I did surgical electives in June, July, August, September and got 5 letters from them (wasn't expecting a letter in September and it's late then so didn't want to risk it so got my 4 letters from the first 3, then sent 4 for each depending on the program).
Oh wow! How do you get them 4th year on auditions/sub Is. Don't you work with multiple attendings? I feel like it'd be hard for them to really get to know you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow! How do you get them 4th year on auditions/sub Is. Don't you work with multiple attendings? I feel like it'd be hard for them to really get to know you.
On your auditions/subi's, you often work on subspecialty services with only a few attendings, and you find a way to work more with ones you want a letter from. A chair letter is a must regardless, but working with them makes it much better, and on my away where there were like 10 attendings (most of which were breast surgeons) I spent much of my time Scrubbing thyroids with 1 attending who got a good exposure to me and thus I believe I got a good letter. 3rd year, you are a nameless med student among many other 3rd year students, so it's harder for you to stand out, plus as a 3rd year you don't know as much. Letters are rare and not as good from 3rd year.

Reactions: 1 user
On your auditions/subi's, you often work on subspecialty services with only a few attendings, and you find a way to work more with ones you want a letter from. A chair letter is a must regardless, but working with them makes it much better, and on my away where there were like 10 attendings (most of which were breast surgeons) I spent much of my time Scrubbing thyroids with 1 attending who got a good exposure to me and thus I believe I got a good letter. 3rd year, you are a nameless med student among many other 3rd year students, so it's harder for you to stand out, plus as a 3rd year you don't know as much. Letters are rare and not as good from 3rd year.
okay thanks for the advice! I think regardless i'll always be the nameless med student but hopefully it gets better!