When to start looking for job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure when to start looking for a job-

I'm starting an Anesthesia based AGCME fellowship in July, PM&R background and own a home where my family and I want to stay. So basically I know exactly where ill want to work (within reasonable commute) and exactly what services I can/want to provide (full spectrum fluoro pain procedures, emg, peripheral msk, "some" chronic pain/med mgmt). Not opposed to looking into purely pain and multispecialty/surgical practices as well as both private/hospital based. I know I will sacrifice some opportunities due to geographic preferences and I'm ok w that.

Some people have told me to casually start sending cover letters w CV's to practices a full year in advance, others say to wait til winter....

Thoughts/advice?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't send unsolicited cvs. I probably field a phone call a month from fellows I don't know asking if I am expanding or looking. I always am happy to take the call and provided a lay of the land in my community. I would start by just making some cold calls.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started cold calling practices in an area that I wanted to end up in March of my CA3 year before starting fellowship. Interviewed by May and signed the contract around August I believe. It is usually never to early to at least try to get your foot in the door if you have a particular area in mind. Good luck.

I started cold calling practices in an area that I wanted to end up in March of my CA3 year before starting fellowship. Interviewed by May and signed the contract around August I believe. It is usually never to early to at least try to get your foot in the door if you have a particular area in mind. Good luck.

agreed. start right now. if you know where you have to be geographically, might as well get the ball rolling.