When to start planning for another cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fluorescentboy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently on two MD/PhD waitlists, but seeing how this cycle has shifted to delayed waitlists decisions does anyone have any feedback on when I should start to think about reapplying for the next cycle?

While I remain very hopeful that I can matriculate this year; I don't want to count any eggs before they hatch.

Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on having been selected for MD/PhD interviews AND selected for waitlist. The opening day to submit an AMCAS application for the upcoming 2020 cycle is on June 1. You are likely to know your status in those two waitlists by May 15-18. While there will be movement in the national pool of acceptances after that, it is quite small (<2%). My advice is read your application and make notes... what are you stronger, what (if any) are you weaker, is there a better manner to present your commitment to the career, is your science better defined, should you use better your experiences to support your narrative, etc. Focus on re-writing to make a more compelling case. At the present time, do not contact the LOR writers. There will be enough time. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations on having been selected for MD/PhD interviews AND selected for waitlist. The opening day to submit an AMCAS application for the upcoming 2020 cycle is on June 1. You are likely to know your status in those two waitlists by May 15-18. While there will be movement in the national pool of acceptances after that, it is quite small (<2%). My advice is read your application and make notes... what are you stronger, what (if any) are you weaker, is there a better manner to present your commitment to the career, is your science better defined, should you use better your experiences, etc. Focus on re-writing to make a more compelling case. At the present time, do not contact the LOR writers. There will be enough time. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! I think having a more cohesive "story" to my application might have helped its reception. I think I will hold out for a few more weeks and then start digging into my app to revise...