When to start prepping for COMLEX Level 2 CE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phagocytosis41

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hi all, current OMS-III. Already took and passed NBMEs in certain subjects. Still have to take the Surgery and Family Med NBMEs. Just wondering when I should start preparing for COMLEX Level 2 CE? I think I will take COMLEX Level 2 in June but when should I start doing practice questions? Should I start doing like 10 a day and increase as it gets closer to June?
I have UWORLD Step 2 but also COMBANK. Not sure about COMQUEST.
Also will you be ready for Step 2 if you study for COMLEX Level 2 CS?

Members don't see this ad.

Studying for NBMEs/COMATs helps studying for boards the summer after 3rd year. I was primarily concerned with passing PE because I had this weird anxiety surrounding it. After taking PE, I took 2 weeks off to study for CE by cramming OME and Uworld, with a little bit of Anki in there as well. I was very happy with how it worked out.

I did not take Step 2, but my friends who did take it seemed to do well by studying Uworld all throughout this semester.

Studying for NBMEs/COMATs helps studying for boards the summer after 3rd year. I was primarily concerned with passing PE because I had this weird anxiety surrounding it. After taking PE, I took 2 weeks off to study for CE by cramming OME and Uworld, with a little bit of Anki in there as well. I was very happy with how it worked out.

I did not take Step 2, but my friends who did take it seemed to do well by studying Uworld all throughout this semester.
is 1 month of dedicated time studying for CE enough?
I'm not sure whether i should take USMLE Step 2. I took Step 1, but Idk.

Members don't see this ad :)
After rotations and completing all the shelves 1 month is enough. Take step 2 as long as your predicted UWorld is above step 1. It should help.

Reactions: 1 users

It's more than enough. It might be too much if you're burnt out. Level 2 is not as hard as Level 1 let alone step 1.

After rotations and completing all the shelves 1 month is enough. Take step 2 as long as your predicted UWorld is above step 1. It should help.
When you say predicted UWORLD, is that the UWORLD Sim or the UWORLD % on random 40 Q practices ?

also is 1 month enough to prep for step 2? thanks for all the good advice!

Hi all, current OMS-III. Already took and passed NBMEs in certain subjects. Still have to take the Surgery and Family Med NBMEs. Just wondering when I should start preparing for COMLEX Level 2 CE? I think I will take COMLEX Level 2 in June but when should I start doing practice questions? Should I start doing like 10 a day and increase as it gets closer to June?
I have UWORLD Step 2 but also COMBANK. Not sure about COMQUEST.
Also will you be ready for Step 2 if you study for COMLEX Level 2 CS?

Studying for the NBME's or COMATs will help a ton. I used UWorld throughout all of 3rd year and then reset it to use during a 3 week dedicated period. June is the perfect month to be taking it, you will have your scores back before residency apps are submitted. You should start practice questions with Uworld exactly like you said, 10-15 per day now and aim to finish the Q-Bank 3 weeks before dedicated then do a reset and repeat it.

Don't waste your time with COMQUEST or COMBANK.

Focusing on UWorld netted me a 779 or right around 98th percentile on mine.

Reactions: 1 user
Took it at the end of June, which was perfect, as I received my scores well before submitting apps for residencies. And I agree - getting it over with before 4th year started was also a huge relief.
To each their own, so I don't really have any suggestions on what question banks to use (I used UWorld throughout 3rd year, but everybody has their own preference). The only thing is - make sure you review some OPP if you feel like you've forgotten it all! I just crammed some of the green Savarese book again, which was sufficient for the OPP portions of the test.