When to start studying for DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MowgliR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshman in college. I am taking gchem now and next year I will take gbio, gphys, and ochem. I am planning on taking the DAT two times before I apply. I don't want to have to apply early June and then wait to take my DAT end of summer. any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

you're taking 3 science pre-reqs + labs in one year? you're only a freshman... why are you bulking up so quickly! a girl that lived on my floor took 3 her soph year and almost died. physics isn't even on the DAT, why not wait to take it til senior year?

Yeah I would agree with that wait to take physics until the last year after you have already applied and been accepted to school so that you can take physics easy and get a couple of B's and who cares.

you're taking 3 science pre-reqs + labs in one year? you're only a freshman... why are you bulking up so quickly! a girl that lived on my floor took 3 her soph year and almost died. physics isn't even on the DAT, why not wait to take it til senior year?

Because thats how it fits into my schedule. I am an Biochem major with a minor in business, and thats just how my 4 yr plan turned out. Plus it would be fresh in my head by the time I take the DATs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a freshman in college. I am taking gchem now and next year I will take gbio, gphys, and ochem. I am planning on taking the DAT two times before I apply. I don't want to have to apply early June and then wait to take my DAT end of summer. any advice?

1. Why are you taking the DAT twice?
2. Take DAT when are ready. You don't know when you will be ready though.
3. You are a frosh, don't worry about DAT yet.

My recommendation is not to take it too far after ochem, because while ochem isn't too difficult of a subject you need to know it quite well for the DAT. I would also recommend keeping gchem fresh in your mind. Every once in a while just crack open your gchem notes and read through them, it'll help.

But overall, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you really want to make sure you have your stuff down for the DAT take it during the summer and take a prep course to help keep you focused and on track. But if you don't need a prep course that's fine too.

But since you're a freshman and already asking for advice on the DAT, I'm sure you'll end up just fine.

My recommendation is not to take it too far after ochem, because while ochem isn't too difficult of a subject you need to know it quite well for the DAT. I would also recommend keeping gchem fresh in your mind. Every once in a while just crack open your gchem notes and read through them, it'll help.

I definitely agree with that, it has been 3 years since I have last taken Ochem. Now I am paying the price for letting it all leak out. Try to keep everything fresh in your mind and you will be on top of the game when the time comes. :)

1. Why are you taking the DAT twice?
2. Take DAT when are ready. You don't know when you will be ready though.
3. You are a frosh, don't worry about DAT yet.

Agreed! You might kill the DAT on your first time so why retake it if this is the case. Also, I would NEVER take a test of that type with the mindset that I am going to take it again. When you do take the test make sure you are more than ready and DO NOT go in there thinking of the first time as a throw-away. After all, these scores will still be present on your application. Finally, as stated, you are a freshmen! Why are you even thinking this far a head. The best advice I can give you is to keep your mind focused on the classes that you are taking and make sure to obtain a high GPA both science and overall. While it is okay to START thinking about the process, I would NOT let it consume you. I didn't really start preparing until about one year before the application. Just my advice, for whatever it is worth!

Best of luck to you!!

You can only hope to nail it the first time.
A lot of good advice given in this thread.