When to start studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmEm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How far in advance should one study for the pcat? I plan on taking the PCAT in October and/or November and was gonna start studying for the PCAT this summer. Is that ample time or do I have time to spare or should I have started a looooooong time ago? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

PharmEm said:
How far in advance should one study for the pcat? I plan on taking the PCAT in October and/or November and was gonna start studying for the PCAT this summer. Is that ample time or do I have time to spare or should I have started a looooooong time ago? Thanks.

Now, unless you're lucky like me who already took Organic I and II and crammed for the Janurary 2005 PCAT during Christmas break. Honestly, if you know the material, it's not difficult to really prepare for. The questions you see on the PCAT are the questions you see in any Freshmen Chemistry textbook.

PharmEm said:

I only studied for about 2.5months maybe a 2-3 hours a week--it was all review for me since I have BS already and then I was working a full time job. Again, if you have already had the classes (do know orgo and calc) then it will be mostly review. I would give yourself a little time just so you're not cramming so start now. Take your time and just enjoy it. Don't stress out over the test too much.

Buy the Kaplan test book. It will over prepare you and you'll walk out feeling that the test was too easy. It's a great feeling.

Study for two months, ~3 hours/day if you're a good test taker and all of the material is review. More if not.

I did that while working full time and hit a 98%. Reading comp dragged me down. =P

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't taken Organic yet (I"ll be taking it in the Fall) and was wondering how much that'll effect me. Will the Kaplan book prepare me well enough for the organic section?

I used the Kaplan book to review and I didn't think the organic review was that helpful. I still did okay on that section, but I'd had orgo previously (although several years earlier). I would recommend knowing the rest of the chem really well and finding whatever resources you can for the orgo part. Unfortunately, I don't know of a good organic review book to recommend... sorry

Does anyone know a good way to study for the Calculus section? Its been years since I took it.

I would try the calculus for dummies book (or is it idiots, dont remember) it goes into the basics pretty well, and since all the PCAT math must be stuff you can do without a calculator it should cover what you need.