When to stop waiting on the Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoxingMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question is when would it be a good time to forget about getting accepted from the waitlist. Ive been accepted at one school which I like but was waitlisted at another which I like much more. Both are on the east coast so I have to plan for moving, getting an apartment and everything else before even starting med school so I just want to leave myself enough time to do so. I called the school that Im waitlisted at and they said that the waitlist is active until a few days before school starts. Obviously I cant wait that long, any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Eh, if you like the one school enough over the other, I'd wait until the last day.

But if it's close...well, you could just give up now.

How much money are you willing to lose by walking out of the first location and how quickly can you get yourself set up in the preferred location?

Define the point at which you can no longer afford to drop the first offer and move to the other school (because of an apt lease, etc). That is the point to drop off the waitlist.

How much money are you willing to lose by walking out of the first location and how quickly can you get yourself set up in the preferred location?

Define the point at which you can no longer afford to drop the first offer and move to the other school (because of an apt lease, etc). That is the point to drop off the waitlist.

I would give youreself at least until June. Very few waitlists move before May 15 and there isa waterfall movement from people dropping acceptances. Now is definitely too early to give up hope; if it makes you feel better there are a lot of people who still have not narrowed down where they'll be going completely, either.