Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status
hi people of SDN, i am currently in my second year of college, fourth semester. i plan to apply to medical school on my third year so then if i get in it would be my 5th year. should i start to study for the MCAT now?

May 27, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Some people find it useful to take it right after their sophomore year, when most complete their pre-reqs. Others take it during their junior year after they've taken some upper-level classes or for whatever reason. And then many take it towards the end of their junior year or that summer as they submit their primary applications. It really depends on you and when you feel most prepared. Remember to only take the MCAT when you feel ready.

Also take into consideration how long it'll take you to prepare. A couple of months usually does it for most. Others require longer, and few can somehow throw it together at the last minute.

OP
Cleavername
Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status
Some people find it useful to take it right after their sophomore year, when most complete their pre-reqs. Others take it during their junior year after they've taken some upper-level classes or for whatever reason. And then many take it towards the end of their junior year or that summer as they submit their primary applications. It really depends on you and when you feel most prepared. Remember to only take the MCAT when you feel ready.

Also take into consideration how long it'll take you to prepare. A couple of months usually does it for most. Others require longer, and few can somehow throw it together at the last minute.
it takes 1 month or 2 for scores to come out right?

if thats the case then i prob should start now, 1 year from now i can take the mcat and have the score ready for june.

May 27, 2009
Status
Medical Student
it takes 1 month or 2 for scores to come out right?

if thats the case then i prob should start now, 1 year from now i can take the mcat and have the score ready for june.
It takes about a month, so if you take it May 15, your scores will be released June 15, give or take a day or two. There's really no need to study a year in advance. Maybe start at the beginning of the spring semester next year, so you'll have ~4 months while balancing school. You'll find that you're going to get sick of studying very quickly. You're going to drive yourself crazy if you start that early, but if there's one subject people choose to start early, it's verbal.

OP
Cleavername
Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status
It takes about a month, so if you take it May 15, your scores will be released June 15, give or take a day or two. There's really no need to study a year in advance. Maybe start at the beginning of the spring semester next year, so you'll have ~4 months while balancing school. You'll find that you're going to get sick of studying very quickly. You're going to drive yourself crazy if you start that early, but if there's one subject people choose to start early, it's verbal.
i decide to confine my self to a life of studying and dont get paid til age 30, i am already crazy.

LRAccord624

MSIII
Oct 18, 2009
Houston
Status
Medical Student
The problem is, we're all crazy here... So if the general consensus is not to study for a YEAR in advance, it might be wise to follow that advise. 4 months balancing school is plenty!

OP
Cleavername
Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status
The problem is, we're all crazy here... So if the general consensus is not to study for a YEAR in advance, it might be wise to follow that advise. 4 months balancing school is plenty!
i dunno dude, i think 1 year in advance is pretty adequate.

ILikeDrugs

pre-attending
10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2008
L.A.
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
i decide to confine my self to a life of studying and dont get paid til age 30, i am already crazy.
The average salary of single person is $45k. This is also the starting salary for most residents. You'll be getting paid when your 26 if your traditional.

OP
Cleavername
Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status
The average salary of single person is $45k. This is also the starting salary for most residents. You'll be getting paid when your 26 if your traditional.
i never understood the concept of the average salary of a single person. what pool is this single person being drawn out of? all people who makes money of some sort? all human beings on this plannet?

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 22, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i dunno dude, i think 1 year in advance is pretty adequate.
Studying for a year in advance is just overkill. If you did well in your pre-reqs, your could probably prepare well in a month or two. I'd give yourself three or four months.

OP
Cleavername
Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status
why do i have a subtle feeling that you guys are trying to make me under prepared so that i can be less compeptive so thus u all get higher scores........

jk..food for thought :).

SoundofSilver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
If you've already taken the pre-req classes, my advice would be to start studying as soon as school is over and then take a late august or early september mcat. A good 3 to 4 months of studying is plenty, and you won't have to worry about studying for the mcat while your taking classes next year and it will just feel awesome to have it out of the way, which means when you apply, everything will be a little (or a lot) less stressful. Just my two cents.