When to submit AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmjannie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I just have a question for you. I am applying for the class of 2009 (entering class fall 2005). I am currently in an MPH program. As of the end of May, I will be done with 33 of the 39 credits required for the degree. This summer, I will finish my final class and complete my practicum experience. Is there any sort of advantage to completing AMCAS and submitting it in June or July and then updating the adcoms with my grades from the final class OR waiting until the end of August to submit the AMCAS with all of my classes included. Which wayis better? Just wanted an opinion. Thanks everyone.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

It would be advisable to submit your AMCAS as soon as possible, and update as needed. It is advantageous to get this in quick and allowing the process to start...

I think it depends on your GPA. In my case, if I do well this quarter, my science GPA will finally get boosted above 3.0. Therefore, I am going to submit my AMCAS early (I advise everyone else to as well), and then send my transcripts after the spring grades come in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Barring any GPA problems, I would submit as early as humanly possible. Keep in mind it takes AMCAS up to three weeks to even acknowledge that they have received your transcript (have your school send it early too, my school took two weeks to prepare mine!) and another two or three to verify it. Then some schools may not even upload your application for another two to four weeks. The process takes longer than I would have ever believed, and if you wait until August that will push you back a lot further than you may think.

Plus the application lets you list any courses that are currently planned or in progress and when you will take them and finish them.