When to submit DO application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reader88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would be perfectly happy going to a DO school but I think I have a good shot at MD (3.89, 517, average to good EC's) so I have been focusing my efforts there. I am thinking of applying to a few DO schools though, but the problem is I really don't want to have to pay that huge seat deposit if I get an acceptance and then later get an MD acceptance. . if I haven't gotten any interview invites by late September would it be too late to submit AACOMAS then?

Side note, seems kind of predatory that DO schools have such huge seat deposits. What's up with that?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
what? You have no reason to apply DO right now.

Edit: worry about getting into an MD school. You have fantastic stats. Even if you don’t get in this cycle, apply next cycle MD and figure out why you didn’t get in. Such as applying to too many reach, etc. So, do yourself a favor, and back out of the Pre-DO section.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback. I will focus on my efforts on MD. For some reason, most of my friends are at DO schools (a lot at DMU) and they are all super happy there, so that is why I was really trying to look more into it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the feedback. I will focus on my efforts on MD. For some reason, most of my friends are at DO schools (a lot at DMU) and they are all super happy there, so that is why I was really trying to look more into it.
That's great that they're happy, but you should be focused on MD. It will just leave so many more doors open, and the 4 years will be filled with way less unnecessary headache. Good luck with they cycle!

That's great that they're happy, but you should be focused on MD. It will just leave so many more doors open, and the 4 years will be filled with way less unnecessary headache. Good luck with they cycle!
Thank you!

There is no question that DMU is a great school, their 2018 match list was impressive! In fact, if MD didn’t work out for me, that’s where I was planning to go, but with your stats you are in good shape to go MD.