When to take Anatomy & Physiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bforbread

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm going to be applying to the 19-20 cycle - trying to decide if I should take A&P:
1. before application to show admission I can handle upper level science class at a 4 year college (a little background here: I'm a non-tradition applicant - took most of my pre-reqs (gen chem, orgo, physics, bio) from a community college, will be finishing microbio & biochem from a 4-year university this June) --> essentially trying to decide whether I should add A&P to my schedule this quarter.

OR

2. take it as late as possible (maybe spring quarter right before dental school) since a lot of people on this forums mentioned that it's going to help a lot for 1st year of dental school.

Any insights is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you taken the DAT yet? If not, consider taking A&P prior to the exam because you will need to have a firm grasp on physiology.

Have you taken the DAT yet? If not, consider taking A&P prior to the exam because you will need to have a firm grasp on physiology.

I took the DAT already! totally agreed A&P would have helped a bunch..it was def a pain in the ass to self learn most of that stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
Also agree that you should take A&P before the DAT because there are a good number of questions regarding those topics. If you already took the DAT and scored well, I’d take it in the spring. Assuming you’ve done well in micro and biochem and scored well on the DAT, you’ve shown you can handle science courses. I think there’s more to lose taking A&P before your application because if you end up with a C, it’ll look bad but if you take it right before dental school and get a C, it won’t matter since most schools just require a C or higher to keep your acceptance.

Have you finished Orgo? I’m assuming yes since you’ve taken biochem. Did you score well in those classes?

Also agree that you should take A&P before the DAT because there are a good number of questions regarding those topics. If you already took the DAT and scored well, I’d take it in the spring. Assuming you’ve done well in micro and biochem and scored well on the DAT, you’ve shown you can handle science courses. I think there’s more to lose taking A&P before your application because if you end up with a C, it’ll look bad but if you take it right before dental school and get a C, it won’t matter since most schools just require a C or higher to keep your acceptance.

Have you finished Orgo? I’m assuming yes since you’ve taken biochem. Did you score well in those classes?

thanks @zToothinator!

I took orgo already and did fairly well. I actually haven't taken biochem/micro bio - will be finishing up those before this June though. Also realized I forgot to mention something crucial (will edit my post) - I took gen chem, orgo, bio, physics at a community college. If I don't take A&P, the only sciences classes I have from a 4 year college would be biochem and microbio. Do you think that's enough or should I also take A&P before applying? Thanks again!

I took all science prereqs at CC. Prior to submitting my application I also took physiology, micro, genetics, neuroscience and biochem at my university. I think if you take micro and biochemistry and do well that should be enough to show you can handle upper division coursework and it is up to your discretion and confidence in regards to taking A&P prior to applying or not.

thanks @zToothinator!

I took orgo already and did fairly well. I actually haven't taken biochem/micro bio - will be finishing up those before this June though. Also realized I forgot to mention something crucial (will edit my post) - I took gen chem, orgo, bio, physics at a community college. If I don't take A&P, the only sciences classes I have from a 4 year college would be biochem and microbio. Do you think that's enough or should I also take A&P before applying? Thanks again!
I think those two will be enough. However, if you haven't taken the DAT, I would recommend taking A&P sooner than later.