When to take Calculus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonia1177

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am currently a sophomore and have taken Calculus I. Math is not my best subject. And I have not taken Calculus II yet. So I wanted to know if it is alright to take Calculus II my senior year or the summer after junior year. Do you think medical school will be alright with that?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I am currently a sophomore and have taken Calculus I. Math is not my best subject. And I have not taken Calculus II yet. So I wanted to know if it is alright to take Calculus II my senior year or the summer after junior year. Do you think medical school will be alright with that?

I dont think they will care when you take it b/c I dont think its a requirement (or even suggested) at any med schools

Im going to be taking my last engineering math class (linear algebra) last semester senior year even though most people take it sophomore year

Hi Everyone,

Are you a engineering major or a physical science major? If you require calc 2 for your major take it. Also if you need it for a class ( physics 2 calc-based then take it prior to taking the class). If not then don't bother taking it if you know that your bad at math... Take statistics as a substitute for calc. Otherwise if your hell bent on calc, well then take it when you feel you'll get a better grade, medical schools won't even care in the slightest because its not a pre-req.

Members don't see this ad :)
That probably isn't a good idea if you plan on taking physics before then. At my school even Physics I uses some calc.

Edit: Lol, nevermind. I thought you said you didn't take calc 1 yet.

Last edited:
Just reading the title of this thread, my initial response was never. If you feel the strange need to take Calc II, take it whenever. As others have said, medical schools don't care. They don't require Calc II.

Just reading the title of this thread, my initial response was never. If you feel the strange need to take Calc II, take it whenever. As others have said, medical schools don't care. They don't require Calc II.

lol, mine too. hell, after reading the post, its still never if you can help it.
take statistics instead, dunno why you'd wanna do calc2. just saying you dont do amazing in it, it can hurt your science gpa...
but if you're a math wiz, doesn't matter when. not a pre-req like others have said.

Never. Unless you have one of the following circumstances:
You're applying to Harvard.
It's required for your major.
You're just interested in it (Although if you're just plain interested in it, I'd recommend auditing the course or taking it P/F rather than taking it for a letter grade).