When to take COMLEX Level II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarkHorizon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

M3 here, I will be done with my medicine, surgery, and OB/gyn by december. However, I will still have FM, peds, and Psych left though. When do you guys think I should attempt to take Level II? I was thinking some time in early spring ( I will still have FM and Psych left to rotate through by then). My school gives me the option to take July off for Level II but I am gonna do an elective instead. My june rotation is pretty light (peds ER) as I can try and finish my shifts in 12 days and have rest of the month off.

I am just trying to get it done before I start my elective rotations, of course I am also looking to do well as I'd most likely be applying a competitive specialty. Let me know what ya'll think I should do.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all

M3 here, I will be done with my medicine, surgery, and OB/gyn by december. However, I will still have FM, peds, and Psych left though. When do you guys think I should attempt to take Level II? I was thinking some time in early spring ( I will still have FM and Psych left to rotate through by then). My school gives me the option to take July off for Level II but I am gonna do an elective instead. My june rotation is pretty light (peds ER) as I can try and finish my shifts in 12 days and have rest of the month off.

I am just trying to get it done before I start my elective rotations, of course I am also looking to do well as I'd most likely be applying a competitive specialty. Let me know what ya'll think I should do.

COMLEX 2 is BIG on FP, Peds & psych....delay till after these rotations if you feel like the rotations are actually helping you. Otherwise just use COMBANK, Boards & Wards, UW & First Aid....Good Luck.

Bump.

I've heard people say not to skim over psych, peds, and FM types of questions and content. Also OBG. I have them late too so looks like I'll have to push back my date a little. Wanted to do it in April/May but now I'm thinking July lately because of this.

M4s?

My school won't let us take the CE until we have passed all the NBME clinical shelfs (IM, peds, FP, psych, surg and Ob). This means for most of my class (>90%) we can't take it until the beginning of June. I'm taking it June 27th. It kinda sucks that right now there aren't any dates available in June before the last week.

For the PE, we can take it after our 6th or 7th rotation (can't remember which). This means we can't take it before the beginning of December. We also have to attend a Clinical Skills Workshop at LECOM which is supposed to help us with the PE and give us advice. I'm taking the PE on April 9th.

What is everyone planning on using to study for the CE? What qbank?

Members don't see this ad :)
DoktorB,
At DMU, you can not take the PE till the one week of exams are over at the main campus. That is why most people are scheduling it for after July dates.

I just read the email they sent us.. "Recommended" is not the same as "Required." I can't imagine they would forbid us to take it until mid-July, but I will check with the powers that be.

You should check the NBOME website and see if you're eligible to sign up for it. If the site says you are, then you are.

EDIT: Never mind, I just read your other posts. What's your school going to do if you take it in April? Physically stop you from taking it??

taking the PE on march 20th and the CE on June 29th, last two rotations are pretty chill so hoping to get some studying done. So far UWorld experience is not going as well as I would like.

Three months of internal med to round off third year. Goddammit.

Deepa, looks like you were right, thanks for bringing that to my attention :(

They would probably bring me to the disciplinary committee. They have a pretty low threshold for doing that to students. Looks like I have some rescheduling to do :mad:

That's a pretty ******ed policy. I guess if you wanted to stick it to the man, take the thing in April, blow it out of the water, and tell them at disciplinary committee that you regret your decision to take it early and do well on it.

:rolleyes: Sometimes I wonder why medical school administrators lack so much common sense...

Our school doesn't want us to take PE until sometime mid May, after we get results of some testing. I'm registered for April.

I'm probably going to take the CE around the same time, maybe a week after you.

I scheduled my PE for the last week in April. I was surprised to find that a good deal of people in my class were scheduling it in 4th year...

At this point..I am going to read a lot during my core rotations and hope it sticks, start step up to medicine soon, savarese obviously, and pray really hard :laugh:. The word is that the CE suuuuucks. I did the UWorld year long subscription which I am slowly chipping away at, and I plan on buying comquest closer to the actual test date.
DoktorB, When are you taking your PE? Mine is April 27th

hello everyone,
I am taking my COMLEX II in a month. I used COMBANK for all COMATs and passed all of them but now I am just doing U World (first pass) especially the medicine, peds section which I have been told are pretty extensively tested upon. I'll hit OB/Gy and Psych for another week from UWorld and by then I shud be done with 50% UW. I am making quizlets on concepts i am weak at. I am not doing anything else. I will finish all OMM questions from COMBANK few days before the exam. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you all