When to take DAT dilemma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AHugeDeadWhale

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

When my fall semester ends, I will have winter break for one month from December to January. I was thinking about signing up for the Kaplan online live course during that time as well as studying on my own. I have already taken biology, genchem, ochem, and I am taking physiology and cell biology this semester. Next semester I will be taking biochemistry.

I guess my question is should I take the DAT in January with one month's prep, or wait until the summer (Spring semester ends May 14) which will give me more time to study, but will push my DAT date past the opening date of the application (My GPA is not that strong so I would like to submit as early as possible. Also, will biochemistry help me that much? Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

When my fall semester ends, I will have winter break for one month from December to January. I was thinking about signing up for the Kaplan online live course during that time as well as studying on my own. I have already taken biology, genchem, ochem, and I am taking physiology and cell biology this semester. Next semester I will be taking biochemistry.

I guess my question is should I take the DAT in January with one month's prep, or wait until the summer (Spring semester ends May 14) which will give me more time to study, but will push my DAT date past the opening date of the application (My GPA is not that strong so I would like to submit as early as possible. Also, will biochemistry help me that much? Thanks for your time!

I would take it February 1st. If you don't like your score, retake it May 1st. If you don't that score either retake Aug 1st (will be your last chance). Taking it in February buys you more time to study and ace it the first time. Retaking in May allows you to still be super early for App season. And BIOCHEM doesn't help at all. Out of all the "extra" subjects, I think physiology helped me the most.

I would suggest taking it during the summer, you shouldnt be that far behind in sending in your app if you take it like early july? that'd give you a month and a half to study all day and you can start this winter. Some people can pull it off in just a month or less but I know for me I like to take my time and have plenty of time and I couldnt have done it in a month, I dont think its worth the risk to rush and not get really good scores because then being early for your app doesnt matter

I would strongly advise you to take it in Jan/Feb if you think you can study enough to get a decent score. Study under the assumption that you will only take it once. Don't let yourself slack off thinking that you can retake it because that's a waste of time and money... and I think that dental schools prefer if you can ace it the first time rather than retaking (I'm not sure though -- that's just what I've heard and think).

You already have the basic classes done (plus physiology). That's all you need for the DAT.

I strongly suggest you take it earlier because then you can spend your spring/summer finishing up your app and sending it out early. The earlier the better. I kept pushing my DAT back until mid-July. I was busy studying for the DAT and trying to get my app submitted at the same time and it sucked. I think that delay really prevented me from getting more pre-Dec interview invites.

BUT that's only if you think you can really study and pull off decent scores on the DAT. And since you say your GPA is a little low, you might want to do really well on the DAT (and submit early). It's your call...

If I wrote the Canadian DAT last week, does the 90 day rewrite policy apply if I want to write the American DAT?