When to take DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in Orgo I this summer, and I'm taking Orgo II next semester in the fall.

I have two questions regarding taking the DAT:

Should I complete Organic Chem II before taking the DAT?

Do most people finish all questions in each section? 100 questions seem like a lot to accomplish in 90 minutes.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in Orgo I this summer, and I'm taking Orgo II next semester in the fall.

Do most people finish all questions in each section? 100 questions seem like a lot to accomplish in 90 minutes.

I say take after Orgo 2.

Others have different opinions. I have a friend who only used chads and never took Orgo before his dat and did better than I did.

And most people on here finish all questions with time to go back and check. (Skipping ones they don't know right off the bat)

Science is usually not bad time wise. (Compared to QR and PAT)

You should definitely complete Orgo II before the DAT. It will go far more in depth than you actually need to know (deeper than Chad's, imo). However, it will build a solid foundation.
Covering Chad's after reviewing/taking Organic and before can be critical, depending on how long you intend to study for.
Like BYU4you said, most people here finish all questions in their Natural Sciences section. You should gauge yourself based on the practice exams you're taking, because during the exam it's just you and the exam (and some sick people/other examinees). I personally ran out of time in the Orgo section- got bogged down by the General Chemistry calculations.

But Chad's videos are extremely concise and efficient- they should be sufficient for covering most of what you need to know for the Organic and Chemistry portions of the DAT. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Definately after you complete not only Orgo 1 & 2 but also Bio 1&2. I would also recommend studying over the summer (preferably summer of sophomore year) when everything is still fresh on your mind.

Hey everyone,

You'll fly though biology because you either know it or don't. You'll fly though OC because there's no calculations. GC will be a little more time-intensive but 90 minutes is plenty.