When To take DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dev9036

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I 'm in First Year of College. I just finished it in spring. When should i Take DAT? And i want to get in Temple dental school without graduating 4years College. I want to get in as early as possible....

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I 'm in First Year of College. I just finished it in spring. When should i Take DAT? And i want to get in Temple dental school without graduating 4years College. I want to get in as early as possible....

Once you've completed the prereqs tested on the DAT, and you have 3 months to study for it (i.e. summer vacation).

I'd wait til you have had org chem, some of lower level bio at least.. I think taking it in your junior year isn't a bad idea.. I just finished my junior year, plan on taking DAT next month, june 2nd.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd wait til you have had org chem, some of lower level bio at least.. I think taking it in your junior year isn't a bad idea.. I just finished my junior year, plan on taking DAT next month, june 2nd.
WOw!! You are taking DAT next month. good luck.. where did u apply for admissions? and How and What did you prepare for DAT? Let me know your scores..ight thanks

Once you've completed the prereqs tested on the DAT, and you have 3 months to study for it (i.e. summer vacation).
DO i always have to finish those preq. what if i dont finish and take the test.. u know what? i havent take Org chem yet ,, but i was trying to solve some problems onlin...Guess What .. i Knew all them ....

Don't take the DATs till next summer when you finish orgo. Either way, they arent gonna accept you for next cycle if you apply as a sophmore. If you can finish college in 3 years, take the DATs early next summer, make sure your complete application is in by july and you will be wayyyyy ahead of the game. One thing I learned about dental admissions is you need at least one of two things to give yourself the edge to get a seat and even scholarships over your piers (even if they have better stats than you): 1) apply early!!!! (soooo important) 2) be a minority- no joke. Anyway if you have both, your set with a 3.5GPA and a 20 DAT. If you arent a minority, like me, apply early!!!! Everyone told me but I didnt realize how important it was until I saw it for myself. I had all my stuff in by late August which ended up being fine but if I wouldve applied a month earlier it wouldve been that much better. O and also of equal if not greater importance, STAY ON TOP OF YOUR APPLICATION. Dental schools arent doing you any favors. I called NYU 2 months after my apps were in to ask why i didnt hear from them and they were like, O we forgot to process your app, sorry..... Its so frustrating, call every week to make sure things are going smoothly. Anyway, you sound like a devoted pre-dent, dont rush, do things slow and right the first time, you'll be fine.

Don't take the DATs till next summer when you finish orgo. Either way, they arent gonna accept you for next cycle if you apply as a sophmore. If you can finish college in 3 years, take the DATs early next summer, make sure your complete application is in by july and you will be wayyyyy ahead of the game. One thing I learned about dental admissions is you need at least one of two things to give yourself the edge to get a seat and even scholarships over your piers (even if they have better stats than you): 1) apply early!!!! (soooo important) 2) be a minority- no joke. Anyway if you have both, your set with a 3.5GPA and a 20 DAT. If you arent a minority, like me, apply early!!!! Everyone told me but I didnt realize how important it was until I saw it for myself. I had all my stuff in by late August which ended up being fine but if I wouldve applied a month earlier it wouldve been that much better. O and also of equal if not greater importance, STAY ON TOP OF YOUR APPLICATION. Dental schools arent doing you any favors. I called NYU 2 months after my apps were in to ask why i didnt hear from them and they were like, O we forgot to process your app, sorry..... Its so frustrating, call every week to make sure things are going smoothly. Anyway, you sound like a devoted pre-dent, dont rush, do things slow and right the first time, you'll be fine.

Hey You said 3 years in college, do u mean i gotta finish my Bac. degreee in three years or all prequisites only.

dental school wont take you unless you have a college degree so I was saying that if you really wanna speed up the process then try to finish college in 3 yrs. its hard but I know many ppl that did it. But dont do that of course if you will be sacrificing good grades of course, better to take it slow if you think your grades will suffer. anyway, good luck

when are you planning on applying to dental schools if you're taking DAT that late??.... i thought people usually did it summer of sophomore year or early junior year so that they could apply right after they finished their junior yr...

is that right? :confused:

Everyone I know took the DAT the summer after junior year so they can get accepted december of their senior year and then start that august after graduation