When to take DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vlct0ria

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am planning on applying for the 2010 cycle, and I want to submit my application the first possible day in May '09. I was thinking of taking the DAT next spring, but then again I'll be taking (17 credit hours worth of) classes at the same time. I was wondering if anyone has advice as to when I should take it, since I'm sure plenty of other people had the problem of classes interfering with DAT study time.

Also, I was reading on dmdstudent.com, and it said to take the DAT not much later than August. Are they talking August next month or August '09? Could you really take the DAT that much later after sending in your app?

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm also applying for the 2010 cycle and I am taking my DAT in a little less than a month at the end of August 08. Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Vict0ria. I think the two best options are to either
1)
Start studying right after Fall semester and take early spring that way you dont have any finals coming up and if it's too much and your grades suffer; you can delay until the summer. Just make sure that your grades (especially your BCP's) don't drop at all.
2) submit your app. June 1st and study hard and take mid July/early Aug. with no summer classes.
A lot of schools start notifying of interviews in August/September. There are other schools that start annoucing interviews in July (like Nova), but remember if they're only waiting on your DAT scores then you're still fairly early.

Oh vict0ria btw: The best avatar on SDN:love:

Seminoles holdin' it down... HaHa... I just took my DAT, with a decently heavy course load, and I do not advise it... I only had 3 weeks to study, but that's because I wanted to submit my scores before August (UF recommends to take the DAT before August)... The advice given above is good: Take in the summer w/ little-to-no classes... You'll be fine... Good Luck...

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Gatorgrl, how come you are taking your DAT already? It seems really early, but nothing wrong with that!

I decided to take the DAT now because I'm just finishing up Orgo so I'll have taken all the classes that it covers and they'll still be fresh in mind. It's also the only time I'll really be able to study for it instead of studying while I'm taking classes. Also, if worse comes to worse I always have plenty of time to take it again if I need to :) but I hope it doesn't come down to that!

I decided to take the DAT now because I'm just finishing up Orgo so I'll have taken all the classes that it covers and they'll still be fresh in mind. It's also the only time I'll really be able to study for it instead of studying while I'm taking classes. Also, if worse comes to worse I always have plenty of time to take it again if I need to :) but I hope it doesn't come down to that!

Smart move, take it and get it out of the way as early as possible. That way you can submit on may 15 and you may even get yur first interview at the start of that August. The earlier you take your DAT the better.